Kay Burley grills Paul Scully on vaccine passports
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Prime Minister looks set to be defeated when his vaccine passport proposals reach the Lower House.
The Labour Party has said it will not support the measures and Starmer's party warned using Covid passports would be "costly", "impractical" and even "open to fraud".
A spokesman from Southside said: "Testing for access to venues would be more efficient, and would give people and businesses more certainty."
Boris Johnson currently holds a 80 seat majority in the House of Commons but a rebellion on the Tory backbenches could see this be overturned.
At least 42 Conservatives have signed a petition opposing the use of Covid certification and could therefore confound the Prime Minister to a Commons defeat.
The Prime Minister looks set to be defeated when his vaccine passport proposals reach the Commons. (Image: Express)
A number of Tory MPs have even threatened to boycott the Conservative Party conference in October in protest against any legislation on vaccine passports.
Sir Ed Davey's Liberal Democrats have also come out against the proposals.
Speaking to Julia Hartley-Brewer on TalkRadio, Alistair Carmichael, Liberal Democrat MP, claimed governments have wanted to introduce ID cards since 2005 and warned data breaches could follow.
"Before you know it you will have become a 'papers please' society,” added the party's home affairs spokesman.
The Prime Minister's proposal is perceived as another attempt to drive up vaccine uptake among young people.
- 'Close schools NOW': Boris Johnson faces backlash after he delays tough action to stop spread of coronavirus despite emergency Cobra meeting hearing the UK DOES face a 'significant' outbreak
- Now EVERYONE with a cough could be told to self-isolate as Boris Johnson warns there are 'extensive preparations' to move Britain to 'delay' phase of coronavirus combat plan
- Ex-Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt blasts Boris Johnson's 'concerning' decision not to ban public events and wants end to care home visits as he says government is NOT doing enough to battle coronavirus 'national emergency'
- Chancellor Rishi Sunak heads for the Commons to deliver crucial first Budget under the shadow of coronavirus as he pledges to give business and NHS all the 'support they need' to deal with crisis
- NCAA faces backlash for pushing ahead with men's basketball tournament amid coronavirus scare - as colleges cancel class and sports leagues consider relocating games
- Introducing the 'coronavirus air handshake': Workers avoid traditional greeting amid virus fears as doctor says she no longer shakes hands when she meets people
- Boris Johnson says he WON'T ban mass gatherings or close schools in fight against coronavirus as health experts say government plan is to LET the disease spread slowly through UK so country gets 'herd immunity'
- Full transcript: Face the Nation on March 4, 2018
- No 'business as usual': EU's Michel Barnier warns Britain that it faces 'lots of consequences' in December if Boris Johnson walks away from a post-Brexit trade deal
- Two British Airways baggage handlers at Heathrow test positive for the killer coronavirus amid fears a hospital patient in his 80s has become UK's second virus death and number of cases leaps by another 47 to 163
- NHS call to arms in coronavirus fight: Officials tell ALL medics they'll have to do tasks they aren't trained for amid fears 80% of Britain will be infected with virus
- Airlines face losing $113BILLION in revenue as Virgin Atlantic reveals its boss will take a 20% pay cut as coronavirus fears cause a slump in demand
- Britain braces for coronavirus Budget: Chancellor Rishi Sunak is set to pump billions into propping up NHS and business amid rumours of emergency interest rate cut
- The gloves are off! Queen ditches the mitts to greet Maltese President at Buckingham Palace... 24 hours after covering hands amid coronavirus fears
- State Department tells Americans to reconsider travel to ALL countries due to coronavirus amid fears lockdowns could be introduced without notice
- Consolidate common defense line of mankind through development
- UK coronavirus cases jump to 116 as toll DOUBLES in two days: Eight of the latest patients caught the killer infection inside Britain as Government concedes it cannot prevent an outbreak
- MPs call for Ofcom to probe BBC’s 'disgraceful' leadership debate that featured an anti-Israel imam who blames women for rape, a Labour apparatchik and other nakedly anti-Tory guests - as broadcaster still WON'T apologise
- Costco customers are sprayed with 'DISINFECTANT': Worker douses people entering store as coronavirus panic grips Britain
- Brits will be told within 10-14 days to stay at home if they have a cough as UK failing to contain coronavirus
Boris faces defeat! 'Impractical' vaccine passport plans on brink amid Commons backlash have 807 words, post on www.express.co.uk at July 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.