‘The actions of the sergeant appear to be unacceptable and we are also concerned with the apparent lack of reaction from another officer present during the incident,” said a department statement
Two Atlanta police officers have been pulled off duty after video posted to social media shows one of them kicking a handcuffed woman on the ground in the head.
Upon review of the video, a statement posted by the department said the actions of the officer who kicked the woman “appear to be unacceptable.”
The department identified that officer as Sgt. Marc Theodule, and named a second officer who stood by without appearing to intervene as Officer Bridget Citizen, reports the Atlanta Journal-Constitution .
According to Atlanta police, the incident on Monday began after officers were dispatched around 12:30 p.m. following a report of an armed individual.
Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE ‘s free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.
A caller had “advised a female was walking in the area and had pointed a gun at several people,” police said in a news release .
It continued: “Officers arrived on scene and were able to locate and detain the female. Officers became concerned with the female’s mental health and requested Grady EMS transport her to the hospital for evaluation. The female was not charged.”
The statement added: “Officers recovered an unloaded handgun during the incident and turned it over to a family member of the female, for safe keeping.”
The woman was not identified. PEOPLE was not immediately able to contact either of the officers.
But after video related to the incident was posted on social media and seen by Chief Rodney Bryant and other commanders, the department said it depicted “an Atlanta Police sergeant kicking a woman in her head,” according to the news release.
“Upon reviewing the video, the actions of the sergeant appear to be unacceptable and we are also concerned with the apparent lack of reaction from another officer present during the incident,” said the statement.
Both officers were “immediately” relieved of their duties, with the sergeant placed on unpaid suspension and the officer put on administrative assignment, according to the statement.
The department’s Office of Professional Standards also was directed to open an “expedited” investigation into the actions of those officers on the scene.
“The actions of those in the video appear to fall outside our standards and training,” the department said in its statement. “However, it is important for the Office of Professional Standards to conduct a thorough investigation to determine the facts surrounding this incident. Chief Bryant will monitor the progress of this expedited investigation and review the findings to determine the proper course of action.”
- Police officer may have gotten away with murdering her cop husband after colleagues 'failed to follow witness leads' and dumped evidence without authorization'- as two detectives are suspended over bungled investigation
- 'Just push him off!' Shocking moment cop shoves suspect, 18, off a ROOF before his sergeant tases him when he hits the ground
- Cop in Viral Video Acquitted of Assault Charge That Attorney Calls a 'Facebook Misdemeanor'
- Cop being sued for forcibly baptizing a woman is ALSO being sued for a forced anal cavity search on another person on the same day
- Drunk constable to be suspended for misbehaving with few TV stars
- White cop 'thought he was responding to a potential burglary' when he shot dead a black woman in her own home - even though concerned neighbor only requested a welfare check
- Dashcam Footage Shows Police Subjecting Woman to Invasive Vaginal Search
- Jury watches 9-hour video capturing alleged sexual assault inside Little Italy bar
- 'Time's up Alki David': Victim of Coca Cola bottling heir says he 'should be in therapy for treating woman like garbage' and says she 'finally feels seen' after he was ordered to pay $4.35M in damages for sexual battery
- Distressing footage shows healthy racehorses being brutally slaughtered at an abattoir amid claims the practice is happening on an 'industrial scale'
- Barcelona protests: Horror moment hoodie-clad mob beat man trying to put out fire - VIDEO
- Ex-roommate 'made a mother watch while he stabbed her young children to death and sawed off their heads before murdering her too, in sickening 20-minute killing spree'
- How a Green Screen Can Elevate the Production Quality of Your Video
- Ex-NYPD cop found guilty of assaulting handcuffed mentally ill teen
- From SNL to Game of Thrones, the most influential TV shows of the decade, ranked
- Queen Elizabeth approves UK prime minister's request to suspend parliament
- 4 arrested after woman beaten outside Salem restaurant
- Furious Fort Worth residents accuse police department of 'systemic racism' after black woman was shot dead in her home by white cop
- Dana Loesch: 'Troubling' to see law-abiding gun owner shot in her home by officer
- Cop who fatally shot Atatiana Jefferson wasn’t sent on welfare check
Atlanta Officers Suspended After Video Shows Cop Kicking Handcuffed Woman in Head have 850 words, post on people.com at July 28, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.