A Utah sandstorm led to a series of car crashes, killing at least eight, including children, and injuring 10 others
At least eight people were killed, including several children, and 10 were injured after a sandstorm in Utah caused a series of car crashes on Sunday afternoon, authorities said.
Ground and air ambulances were called to a 22-vehicle pileup on Interstate 15 near Fillmore after high winds created a sand or dust storm that obstructed the view of drivers around 4:30 p.m., the Utah Department of Public Safety said in a press release .
Five of the eight people killed were in the same vehicle, and two others were in a second vehicle, the release said. An additional fatality was traveling in a third car. Victims were transported to a local hospital.
“We have vehicles all over. Several vehicles tried to swerve off the roadway. We have vehicles that are flipped up on their sides,” Sgt. Cameron Roden with the Utah Highway Patrol told CBS affiliate KUTV . “One of the vehicles that was pulling a trailer, the trailer has pretty much completely been destroyed and is on the freeway.”
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE ‘s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
The highway was partially shut down following the incident, according to the release.
“I can’t remember in recent memory of [a crash] being this large, with this many vehicles and this many fatalities,” Roden told KUTV.
The names of the victims will not be released until 24 hours after next of kin are notified, the release said.
- Man Dies After Crash At Stock Car Fantasy Camp
- Ferrari 458 Speciale Obliterated In Apparent Crash With Smart Car
- Everyone Somehow Survives After Horror Crash Literally Splits Car Down The Middle
- Your Guide To The Problem GM Didn't Fix Until People Died
- This Is Why Probably More Than 13 People Died In Recalled GM Cars
- Police: Google Street View car went wrong way, caused crash
- Lamborghini Front End Lands In A Parking Lot After Crash Splits The Car In Half
- Pokemon Go player crashes into cop car, gets caught on body camera
- Here's How Uber Wants To Prevent People From Barfing In A Self-Driving Car
- Safety Group: 303 People Died In Recalled GM Cars When Airbags Failed
- Chattanooga Bus Driver May Have Asked Children If They Were 'Ready to Die' Before Fatal Crash
- NASCAR Short Track Legend Ted Christopher Dies In Plane Crash
- The country where a lot more people die taking selfies
- It's Not Vehicular Manslaughter If You Criticize Elon Musk's Self-Driving Cars
- The First Fatal Crash In A Self-Driving Car Has Happened; NHTSA Investigating Tesla
- Google driverless car hysteria shows humans are too stupid to drive
- The First Fatal Car Accident In The World Was Earlier Than You Think
- More And More People Are Getting Killed By Crap Flying Off Cars
- Ridiculous Distracted Driving Stats Make The Case For Autonomous Cars
- Ultimate Corvette Driver Crashes Twice In Seven Minutes
At Least 8 People Die After Sandstorm Causes Crash Involving 22 Cars in Utah have 540 words, post on people.com at July 26, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.