BRITs: The Greatest Showman’s Hugh Jackman opens show
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Greatest Showman fought off mixed reviews upon its cinematic opening, storming the box office for months and seeing its soundtrack album top the charts around the world. Now almost four years since its release and the Hugh Jackman musical has hit another incredible milestone. In fact, this one topped the likes of Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody and Marvel epics Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame.
Announced by the Official Charts Company and the British Association for Screen Entertainment, The Greatest Showman is the most digitally downloaded movie of all time in the UK.
The news came as these organisations celebrate 100,000,000 digital movie downloads since the Official Charts began.
The Greatest Showman topped the list with 1.1 million digital downloads since its release in 2018 – the first and only movie to surpass a million in Britain.
The Hugh Jackman musical was also the first film to ever reach 500,000 Download and Keep sales.
The Greatest Showman tops Bohemian Rhapsody and Avengers Endgame in incredible milestone (Image: DISNEY)
Avengers Infinity War and Avengers Endgame (Image: DISNEY)
According to the Official Charts Company: "Ever since the film’s release, its success has continued to make headlines across both the Official Albums Chart and the Official Film Chart, including a return to the Official Film Chart Top 10 in February – marking Top 10 success across four different years.
"In total, The Greatest Showman has notched up over two years in the Top 40, with 126 non-consecutive weeks in the chart – more than any other film."
Just behind the movie musical was Bohemian Rhapsody at No 2, followed by Avengers Endgame and Avengers Infinity War.
Here are the full Top 10 of the biggest films on digital download in the UK:
The Greatest Showman could get a sequel (Image: DISNEY)
The Greatest Showman featurette starring Keala Settle
1. The Greatest Showman
DON’T MISS PT Barnum ‘used slavery to feed 19th Century appetite for freak shows’ [THE REAL PT BARNUM] The Greatest Showman hits another milestone three years after release [THE GREATEST SHOWMAN] Virginia Bocelli sings Andrea Bocelli songs and The Greatest Showman [ANDREA BOCELLI]
Meanwhile, this week's Official Film Chart has seen Godzilla vs Kong climb back up to No 1 following its release on Blu-ray and DVD.
The monster movie knocked Zack Snyder's Justice League off the top spot and back down into second place.
On digital download sales surpassing 100 million, Martin Talbot, Chief Executive of the Official Charts Company said: "Reaching 100m digital movie downloads is a huge milestone for the evolution of the video sector.
"Ownership of movie downloads was already growing rapidly before the beginning of 2020, but over the past 18 months it has genuinely surged."
The Greatest Showman featurette starring Zac Efron
Talbot added: "Film fans of all generations have embraced the convenience of instantly delivered, always available digital entertainment – and I have no doubt that it won't be long before we are celebrating the 200 million landmark."
While Liz Bales, Chief Executive of BASE commented: "This is a huge moment of celebration for the Home Entertainment category as it shows just how much audiences have embraced the freshest ways to grow their film library, with a number that translates to around five-film downloads per household in the UK.
"It's also so exciting to see digital formats snapping at the heels of the nation's long-held favourite, the DVD, and sister premium formats Blu-ray and 4K UHD.
"Today's news, coupled with the billions of physical film sales since the inceptions of those formats, continue to demonstrate just how much audiences love watching their favourite films at home as well as in cinemas."
- From Game of Thrones to the Bohemian Rhapsody soundtrack: Qantas reveals the most watched movies and listened-to songs on inflight entertainment this year
- Over HALF of last year's top 20 selling albums are OLD - including a Queen compilation from 2000 - as younger listeners stream their favourite tracks rather than buying records
- Top 10s of the 2010s: What were our favourite songs, films, books, TV shows and games?
- Disney’s Global Box Office Year: Mouse Roars To $13.2B; A Record Not Likely To Be Seen Again Soon
- ‘Aquaman’ Dives Into China With $94M; Best-Ever WB, DC & December Bow – International Box Office
- A beautiful year in the theaters: 2019's ﬁnest
- Lady Gaga tearfully accepts her first Oscar for Shallow as Jennifer Hudson encourages her from audience
- Airlines reveal most popular movies, TV shows and meals in 2019
- Films lookahead: 20 movies not to miss in 2020
- ‘Cats’ Bound To Lose At Least $71M After All Ancillaries: Here’s How
- Notes On The Season: Upsets Looming For The Race? ‘Parasite’ On The Rise; The Return Of Oscar Legend Sacheen Littlefeather
- Kodak Black Scores First No. 1 Album on Billboard 200 With 'Dying to Live'
- Lewis Capaldi & Ed Sheeran Lift U.K. Streaming to Record High in 2019: BPI
- UK spent a record £3bn on streaming music, films and TV in 2019
- The 20 blockbusting movies you need to see in 2020
- The best movie car scenes of all time – from Italian Job’s Mini chase to Harry Potter’s flying motor
- Our highest review scores of 2019
- Best Minecraft skins from the past 10 years (download links included!)
The Greatest Showman tops Bohemian Rhapsody and Avengers Endgame in incredible milestone have 982 words, post on www.express.co.uk at June 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.