Swedish national broadcaster SVT science reporter Bodil Appelquist has claimed she had to stop doing research on the possible origin of the coronavirus, following demands from her editorial staff.
Appelquist ventured that the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) and the media have jointly labelled the lab origin version, which has circulated since the start of the pandemic, a conspiracy theory.
“There was somehow some consensus then, a year ago, that this was a conspiracy theory”, she told the newspaper Världen Idag , noticing a turning point that is happening now.
Appelquist said that at the onset of the pandemic she was contacted by several researchers who thought she should take a closer look at the lab in the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the first cases of COVID were detected.
She said she had the time to do extensive research, but was met with such hesitation and questioning from her editorial staff that she had to terminate the project.
“I absolutely don’t want to be seen as a conspiracy theorist. It would be devastating for me as a journalist”, Appelquist said. “However, the fact that we didn’t dare to look at it in different way, I believe is a bit problematic”, she added.
Världen Idag asked broadcaster SVT why the state TV giant took so long to change its stance and report on the lab origins version.
“SVT has followed the global research situation around the pandemic. On the whole, SVT reporting does not differ from other newsrooms”, the response said.
The origins of the deadly COVID-19 pandemic remain unknown for the time being. Yet, the theory that the virus originated in a lab and leaked accidentally have been vehemently branded as a dangerous conspiracy, despite lab leaks having occurred in the past.
The known list of lab-related biosecurity incidents across the globe includes accidental laboratory-acquired infections and releases of lethal pathogens (including anthrax, SARS, foot and mouth disease, and Ebola), containment failures in or during transport of lethal pathogens, and incidents of exposure of lethal pathogens to laboratory personnel, as well as improper disposal of contaminated waste, and/or the escape of laboratory animals.
While former US President Donald Trump and his associates received a lot of flak for suggesting that the virus originated in a Chinese lab, his successor Joe Biden ordered the nation’s intelligence agencies to broaden their investigation into whether the coronavirus emerged naturally as it jumped species or leaked accidentally from the Wuhan Institute of Virology . This marked a turning point in the tone of the mainstream media and the approach of social media giants. Among others, Facebook stopped treating “man-made COVID” as a conspiracy theory .
- Fresno State baseball at Air Force canceled, but softball trip to Colorado State still on
- Fresno State basketball’s shortcomings all exposed in falling short of MW title game
- Fresno State-Boise State, round 4: They know each other, but there are some new wrinkles
- Arizona State stops No. 1 KU, 80-76: ‘The reality of it is we weren’t going to run the table’
- For Fresno State, another sluggish start was biggest issue in 82-81 loss to Utah State
- Fresno State took efficiency out of Boise State offense. Can Bulldogs do it again?
- The Valvano name will always be attached to NC State’s Reynolds Coliseum
- Arizona State shocks No. 1 Kansas 80-76
- Sinclair Broadcast reports drop in sales and profits for third quarter
- Taylor’s 30 points not enough as No. 6 Nevada overpowers Fresno State Bulldogs once again
- Now-dead Ohio State doctor accused of abusing at least 177
- Fresno State scholarship fund reaching critical point. How much trouble are Bulldogs in?
- Missing another NCAA Tournament hurts more than any injury for K-State star Dean Wade
- 2015 LA motor show - report and gallery
- Tech Questions & Answers – Pit Stop
- Porting Pontiac Heads – Pit Stop
- Trump reportedly joked Jared Kushner 'is half the size of Tom Brady's forearm'
- The Court Report: A coach's pink hair, a mid-major star bangs the drums for his team and Big Ten-ACC Challenge picks
- The Court Report: A coach's pink hair, a mid-major star bangs the drums for his team and ACC-Big Ten Challenge picks
- The AAC’s TV deal highlights a big problem, and not just for UConn
Swedish State TV Reporter Claims She Was Forced to Stop Researching COVID-19 Lab Theory have 690 words, post on sputniknews.com at June 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.