A year on from when it was originally due to take place, the European Championships finally started on June 11.
After qualifying for their first major tournament in two decades, Scotland were handed a tough draw in the tournament proper – they are in Group D alongside England , Croatia and the Czech Republic . Having lost to the Czechs on Monday , Steve Clarke’s team face England on Friday night.
Latest Scotland team news
Kevin Gallacher hopes England are setting themselves up for a fall by thinking they can walk all over Scotland.
The former Tartan Army favourite still lives south of the border after a playing career that took him from Dundee United to the Premier League with Coventry, Blackburn and Newcastle.
And the vibe the 54-year-old is sensing on the streets is that England do not think much of Steve Clarke ‘s team after seeing them stumble out of the Euro 2020 blocks against the Czech Republic
Now Gallacher, who was capped 53 times for Scotland and starred at the 1998 World Cup, hopes that over-confidence comes back to bite the Auld Enemy when Clarke’s side march on Wembley this Friday.
Gallacher told BETDAQ: “England will believe that they can go and walk all over Scotland. I think that’s the way that their players will approach it. They’ll think, ‘This will be easy, it’s only Scotland’.
“Living down in England, it’s almost like sometimes they belittle the Scottish players playing in the Scottish league.
“We’ve got a few players now playing in the Premier League and they’re playing regularly.
“For me, in Scotland-England games, form goes out the window. It’s who wants it more. We’ve seen that not so long ago in 2017 when Scotland played England, and unfortunately Harry Kane scored right after a couple of Leigh Griffiths free-kicks, it was 2-2 at Hampden.
“You’re looking at games like that. Nobody would have ever gone for 2-2 at Hampden and that’s the way it ended.
“I hope England are thinking that they can walk all over Scotland, and hopefully that’ll do Scotland some favours.
“Scotland need to believe in themselves. We’re hardworking, we play together. We’re not individual world-class players. We are a very good squad side that when we’re all playing together, we can win together. Steve Clarke has got that in the players, a belief that it’s a team.”
Gallacher was part of Craig Brown’s team which lost 2-0 to the English at Hampden in the European Championship play-offs back in 1999.
Don Hutchinson’s goal sealed a famous win in the Wembley return but it was not enough to see the Scots qualify as their long stint in the international wilderness began.
It was Clarke’s side who made history by firing the nation back to their first major finals in 23 years – and now Gallacher has urged them to write another chapter by reigniting Scotland’s bid for the knock-out rounds with a victory in London.
“It’s definitely a game where legends can be made for Scotland,” he added. “You look back at when Don Hutchison scored the header at Wembley in the Euro 2000 play-offs.
“People remember that, even though we were knocked out. Scoring a goal against England is a big, big thing.
“Playing against them is a big thing, but if you score against them, it’s even bigger. If you score and you win against them then the fans will never ever forget about it.”
What times are Scotland’s group stage fixtures?
Monday, June 14
Friday, June 18
England vs Scotland LIVE – 8pm, Wembley
Tuesday, June 22
Scotland vs Croatia – 8pm, Hampden Park
Who is in Scotland’s squad for the Euros?
Fresh blood – personified by the 19-year-old pair of Billy Gilmour and Nathan Patterson, plus David Turnbull at 21 – was the source of excitement as Steve Clarke named his Scotland squad for the deferred tournament.
Goalkeepers : Craig Gordon (Heart of Midlothian), David Marshall (Derby), Jon McLaughlin (Rangers)
Defenders : Liam Cooper (Leeds), Declan Gallagher (Motherwell), Grant Hanley (Norwich), Jack Hendry (Celtic), Scott McKenna (Nottingham Forest), Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell), Nathan Patterson (Rangers), Andy Robertson (Liverpool), Greg Taylor (Celtic), Kieran Tierney (Arsenal)
Midfielders : Stuart Armstrong (Southampton), Ryan Christie (Celtic), John Fleck (Sheffield United), Billy Gilmour (Chelsea), John McGinn (Aston Villa), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Scott McTominay (Manchester United), David Turnbull (Celtic)
Forwards : Che Adams (Southampton), Lyndon Dykes (QPR), James Forrest (Celtic), Ryan Fraser (Newcastle United), Kevin Nisbet (Hibernian)
What have we said about Scotland at Euro 2021?
- ISL 2020-21: Jamshedpur FC vs FC Goa: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- Leeds eye Adama Traore transfer swoop with Wolves winger ‘wanting more game time to seal Spain Euro 2020 spot’
- ISL 2020-21: Bengaluru FC vs Kerala Blasters FC: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- ISL 2020-21: NorthEast United FC vs Chennaiyin FC: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- Russia BANNED from Tokyo Olympics and World Cup 2022 for doping but will be allowed to play at delayed Euro 2020
- ISL 2020-21: Mumbai City FC vs Jamshedpur FC: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- ISL 2020-21: Hyderabad FC vs East Bengal: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- ISL 2020-21: ATK Mohun Bagan vs FC Goa: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- ISL 2020-21: Odisha FC vs Bengaluru FC: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- ISL 2020-21: NorthEast United FC vs Jamshedpur FC: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- ISL 2020-21: Kerala Blasters FC vs Hyderabad FC: Preview, Team News, Timings, Live Streaming Info
- T10 League 2020: Maratha Arabians and Deccan Gladiators lead the two groups; list of teams in group stage
- Liverpool – Tottenham: How to watch, team news, odds, prediction
- Premiership team news: Semi Radradra returns for Bristol
- Wales vs Italy rugby FREE: TV channel, Live stream, kick-off time and team news for TODAY’S Autumn Nations Cup match
- Wolves vs Tottenham: Live stream, TV channel, kick-off time and team news for Premier League clash at Molineux
- IPL 2020: KKR vs KXIP Dream11 Team Prediction, Tips, Best Playing XI Details
- IND vs AUS 1st Test 2020: Mitchell Starc to Rejoin Australia Squad, in Line For Selection in Adelaide Test vs India
- Abu Dhabi T10 League 2020: Complete list of Squads, Team Captains, top players to watch out for
- Abu Dhabi T10 League 2020: Full list of players, Team Captains, top names to watch out for
Scotland Euro 2020 squad, fixtures list and latest team news have 1095 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at June 18, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.