Meghan Markle and Harry ‘won’t go away’ says Smith
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Meghan Markle is determined to hold on to her royal title despite quitting as a senior member of the Royal Family in 2020, according to an insider. The source said the Duchess fears a “PR disaster” will erupt if the Queen decided to strip the couple of their royal titles, which sees the pair formally referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
A source close to Meghan told Heat magazine Meghan is concerned her husband’s recent comments about the Royal Family have prompted calls for the pair to lose their titles.
They said: “She’s told Harry that they need to tone down the attacks on the Royal Family – she’s afraid they’ll take away their royal titles, which would be a PR disaster.
“Right now, she’s inundated with offers, and that’s in part to being a Duchess.”
It comes as a petition was launched “inviting” Prince Harry to voluntarily ditch his royal titles.
Meghan Markle has told husband Prince Harry to “tone down the attacks on the Royal Family” (Image: Getty)
Meghan Markle is concerned her husband’s recent comments about the Royal Family have prompted calls for the pair to lose their titles (Image: Getty)
Lady Colin Campbell, author of Meghan and Harry: The Real Story and other books, launched the online petition where she called for the Duke to “voluntarily ask The Queen to put his royal style, titles and rank into abeyance”.
Over 27,000 people have signed the petition.
Piers Morgan has gone a step further and urged the Queen to formally strip the Sussexes of their titles.
Writing in a column for Mail Online he said: “As I wrote when they announced in January 2020 that they were quitting Britain and royal duty, Queen should have stripped them of the titles then and there.
Prince Harry spoke of his “genetic pain” in a recent interview (Image: Getty)
“She didn’t because Harry’s her beloved grandson and she doesn’t want to be seen to mistreat him.
“Today, the case for cutting him off from his royal status is even stronger, yet I suspect the Queen is still resisting all calls to do so, because she is an inherently decent woman and has a far greater loyalty to her family than Harry is showing.
“However, we’ve surely reached the point where she has to put the future of Monarchy before a couple of renegades way down the succession food-chain who are intent on wrecking it?”
Prince Harry and Meghan left Royal Family for ‘same reason’ as exes [DETAILS] Prince Harry’s popularity plummets in US following media appearance [ANALYSIS] Queen granted Kate and William access to Prince Philip’s collection [INSIGHT]
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry stood down as senior royals last year (Image: Getty)
The former GMB presenter made the comments after Prince Harry’s recent interview with Dax Shepard, where he discussed his royal upbringing.
During the podcast, Harry spoke of his “genetic pain” and said he wanted to “break the cycle” of “pain and suffering” of his own upbringing by quitting the Royal Family.
In a separate interview with Oprah Winfrey, for his new Apple TV+ series The Me You Can’t See, Harry criticised the Royal Family, and said the Firm did very little to help the couple when they felt harassed by the media.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, a romantic timeline (Image: Express)
Harry said he and his wife were “followed, photographed, chased and harassed” from the very start of their relationship. He added: “I felt completely helpless. I thought my family would help – but every single ask, request, warning, whatever it is, just got met with total silence or total neglect.”
- Meghan Markle sparked row between Prince Harry and David Beckham after accusing Victoria of leaking stories
- Meghan Markle was 'on the brink': Prince Harry agreed to quit the Royal family and fast-tracked plans as he feared his 'unsettled' wife would have a 'meltdown' if she remained in the UK
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry post new pictures of their 'secret' visit to Grenfell kitchen four days ago as they appear to launch new PR salvo after quitting the Royal Family
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle stand to lose £2m a year from Royal purse – but we’ll still pay £600k security bill
- Are Prince Harry and Meghan Markle planning to MOVE to Canada? Palace dismisses 'speculation' from friends that royal couple 'could run their office from there or even renounce their HRH titles' after success of Christmas break
- Queen's ex-chef Darren McGrady launches blistering attack on 'fame-hungry' Meghan Markle and 'airhead' Prince Harry - and claims Princess Diana would have been 'ashamed' of him stepping back
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'could become the world's best paid celebrity couple'
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 'asked neighbours to sign non-disclosure agreements' during their secretive six-week holiday at an £11m Canadian mansion
- Canadians want Prince Harry to be next governor general - but they're 'furious' at idea of paying for his and Meghan Markle's security if they move there, new poll finds
- Queen gives courtiers 72 hours to seal deal with 'hopeful' Meghan Markle and Prince Harry: Monarch demands blueprint which can also apply to Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis
- Steely-eyed Queen is seen for first time since Prince Harry announced he and Meghan Markle will quit the Royal Family as crisis talks with Prince Charles and Prince William continue
- A right royal cash in! How Prince Harry and Meghan Markle trademarked over 100 items from hoodies to socks SIX MONTHS before split with monarchy - and could be set to make MILLIONS
- Meghan Markle has ‘shut down mechanism’ to detox people from life just like she’s done to the royals, former pal reveals
- Inside high-stakes negotiations at Sandringham: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be offered a compromise ‘Commonwealth role’ as courtiers desperately search for a face-saving solution to Megxit – and one aide warns ‘I’ve never seen the monarchy in such
- So much for being financially INDEPENDENT! UK taxpayers will still pay Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's '£600,000 security and £130,000 travel costs' while they will get £2.3m-a-year from Prince Charles' Duchy
- Did Prince Harry and Meghan Markle jump before they were pushed? Couple's confidante Tom Bradby says Palace 'made clear' to them that 'there was going to be a slimmed down monarchy and they weren't really a part of it'
- As Meghan Markle and Prince Harry step down to be 'financially independent,' FEMAIL looks at other royals who have forged their own careers outside of their families
- Did Meghan Markle's power outfit hint at her big news? Stylist reveals how the Duchess dons 'calm' camel tones with sharp tailoring to show she 'means business' before making major announcements
- Former minister Norman Baker says Prince Harry and Meghan Markle should GIVE UP their titles, and repay £2.4m public money spent on renovating Frogmore Cottage as MPs accuse pair of trying to 'have their cake and eat it'
- EXCLUSIVE: Meghan Markle has the 'full support' of mom Doria Ragland after being 'miserable, having anxiety attacks and struggling after Archie's birth, as Duchess confides she has no intention of ever returning to the UK to live'
Meghan Markle 'fears losing title' and has 'told Harry to tone down attacks' on Firm have 1309 words, post on www.express.co.uk at June 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.