A lot has changed between the two births, notably Meghan and Prince Harry stepping down from their senior royal roles and relocating to California
A lot has changed between the two births, most notably that Meghan and Prince Harry stepped down from their senior royal roles and relocated to California. While Archie was born at Portland Hospital in the U.K., the couple welcomed Lili at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. (However, Lili is not the first member of the British royal family born in California — in 2013, Prince Harry’s cousin Lord Frederick Windsor and his wife Sophie Winkleman welcomed their oldest daughter, Maud, in Los Angeles.)
For both births, Meghan and Prince Harry were able to maintain a bit of privacy. They didn’t announce Lili’s arrival until two days later.
On the day Archie was born, the couple shared an announcement that Meghan was in labor followed shortly by the news that they had welcomed a baby boy on their now-defunct Instagram page. However, no photos of the parents leaving the hospital were captured by paparazzi.
And while Meghan and Harry announced both children’s names two days after their birth, Lili’s name came with the initial birth announcement, while Archie’s name wasn’t shared until their photo call two days after the news broke.
“On June 4th, we were blessed with the arrival of our daughter, Lili,” they said. “She is more than we could have ever imagined, and we remain grateful for the love and prayers we’ve felt from across the globe. Thank you for your continued kindness and support during this very special time for our family.”
Following Archie’s birth, Prince Harry was first to share his reaction with a short, on-camera interview the same day.
“I’m very excited to announce that Meghan and myself had a baby boy early this morning, a very healthy boy,” Harry said with a big smile on his face. “Mother and baby are doing incredibly well.”
“It’s been the most amazing experience I could ever possibly imagine,” he continued. “How any woman does what they do is beyond comprehension. But we’re both absolutely thrilled and so grateful to all the love and support from everybody out there. It’s been amazing, so we just wanted to share this with everybody.”
Harry also joked that he had gotten only “about two hours’ sleep” since his first child’s arrival.
Two days after Archie’s birth, Meghan and Harry gave the world the first look at their baby boy with a photo call in Windsor Castle. The couple answered a few questions about their first few days as parents.
Get the premiere issue of PEOPLE Royals for glamorous new photos and inside stories royals fans haven’t seen or read elsewhere! Subscribe at peopleroyals.com/launch
Plans for the first photo of baby Lili have not yet been announced — but with Father’s Day coming up later this month, it’s possible that Meghan and Harry will chose the holiday to share a photo (just as they did with Archie on his first Father’s Day) revealing their completed family of four to the world.
Listen below to our daily podcast PEOPLE Every Day for more on Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s new daughter, Lilibet Diana.
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Just Gave New Insight Into Son Archie's 'Action' Name
- Prince Harry Gets Candid About 'Family Time' with Archie During Isolation in California
- Inside Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Plans to Celebrate Archie's First Birthday
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Announce Archewell: All the Details On Their Next Endeavor
- Baby Archie adorably high-fives Desmond Tutu with the help of proud mum Meghan Markle during Africa tour
- Prince Harry joins the Queen on her 93rd birthday without heavily pregnant Meghan Markle fuelling speculation royal baby is imminent
- Prince Harry drops his royal surname in documents registering new eco-friendly tourism firm Travalyst after leaving Britain for California with Meghan Markle
- Meghan Markle has not seen her beloved mum Doria since moving back to Los Angeles due to coronavirus crisis
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Easter plans with baby Archie revealed
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘ignored advice NOT to take private jet’ and it ‘came back to bite them badly’
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s private wedding photos leaked on Instagram after photographer is hacked
- Designer Misha Nonoo reveals 'supportive' loved-ones such as best friend Meghan Markle are 'helping her adjust to becoming a working mother' amid the coronavirus pandemic
- Prince Harry Is "Finding Life a Bit Challenging" After Royal Exit, Says Friend Jane Goodall
- Who will begrudge them the chance to be happy? Prince Harry didn't ask to be born a royal, and his life of privilege has come at a price can't bear, writes the Prince's biographer PENNY JUNOR
- Meghan Markle 'clashed' with staff who thought 'who do you think you are'
- Meghan Markle Practicing Social Distancing from Mom Doria Ragland and Friends Since Move to L.A.
- Meghan Markle and Buckingham Palace staff had a 'clash of cultures' because they didn't approve of her celebrity past and lack of respect for the hierarchy, claims royal expert
- Royal courtiers chart path for Prince Harry’s independence
- Could Meghan Markle's Baby Be Born on the Queen's Birthday?
- EXCLUSIVE: Meghan Markle's high school sweetheart Luis Segura is spotted in LA amid claims she's been looking for a home on the real estate agent's turf
How Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Daughter Lili's Birth Compared to Big Brother Archie's have 1102 words, post on people.com at June 7, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.