Health MOTs will be offered alongside booster Covid jabs and flu vaccines this autumn, NHS chiefs have said.
Health officials said thousands of lives would be saved by the rollout of checks on blood pressure, cholesterol and heart health at vaccination centres and pharmacies across the country.
The NHS is preparing to offer booster jabs against new Covid variants to all over-50s, with the rollout starting this autumn. The new checks will be offered alongside the Covid and flu jabs, with local health systems deciding the criteria for who should be targeted.
Amanda Pritchard, the chief operating officer, said the NHS would make “every contact count” by rolling out opportunities for health checks at times when patients already have other appointments.
Local health systems will decide who should be eligible for checks, which could also be offered to those who are middle aged or older when they come forward for flu jabs.
Health officials said more than 1,000 strokes could be prevented every year if everyone over 65 was offered an annual heart rhythm check.
Speaking at the NHS Confederation Conference, Ms Pritchard said: “The NHS is not just a sickness service but a health service, which is why we want to make every contact count, using every opportunity to keep people well rather than just seeking to make them better.”
She said the checks would “reach out to people in the communities they live in” to keep people healthy and well instead of waiting for advanced disease to be treated.
Ms Pritchard said: “The hugely successful NHS vaccine programme has given us the opportunity to make every contact count by going out into peoples’ communities to beat coronavirus while also catching other killer conditions.
“The checks – like the jabs – will be available in convenient locations in local communities including village halls, churches, mosques and local sports centres and prevent people becoming seriously ill.”
The NHS has set out ambitions to prevent 150,000 strokes and heart attacks over the next 10 years by improving the treatment of high-risk conditions such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Coronavirus vaccine could be available 'within months', claims Oxford University scientist whose team is 'rapidly' working out how to stop the disease
- State Department IGNORED health officials’ warnings against flying coronavirus-infected evacuees back to the US alongside healthy Americans as CDC confirms 18 of them now have the virus
- Hand dryers won't kill the coronavirus and nor will UV lamps: World Health Organization debunk 13 of the biggest myths surrounding the outbreak
- Coronavirus outbreak: Preventive vaccine ready for pre-clinical trials
- Coronavirus Covid-19 could kill 45 million – and ‘poses bigger threat than terrorism’
- Study: Mumps Outbreaks Linked To Waning Vaccine Protection
- Bid to contain coronavirus COVID-19 sees Chinese tech giants deploy tracking maps
- ASEAN, China enhance cooperation in response to COVID-19
- Lebanon confirms first case of COVID-19, two more suspected
- Jamie Oliver is right to call for higher taxes on junk food and fizzy drinks, says DR ELLIE CANNON
- Home at last... but straight to quarantine: British and Irish evacuees flash OK and heart signs as they arrive at Arrowe Park Hospital for two-week containment ordeal after 20-day hell on Diamond Princess plague ship
- Thirteen Americans evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise at 'high risk' for coronavirus are being quarantined and treated for the infection - and one is in a Nebraska biocontainment unit
- 'Every pore on my body opened': British victim describes what it's like to have coronavirus as he's treated in Japan after catching virus on infection-riddled ship the Diamond Princess as two other passengers DIE
- British coronavirus cruise ship airlift is DELAYED: Flight to rescue 74 UK nationals trapped on infection-riddled Diamond Princess is pushed back a day because of 'logistical complications'
- How coronavirus spread around the world: Maps reveal the way the deadly infection swept through China and leaped into 26 more countries in just seven weeks
- Brits are the LAST to leave coronavirus cruise ship: 74 British Diamond Princess passengers are STILL waiting for rescue as hundreds more foreigners are airlifted to safety
- '78 Brits, what the hell do they matter? They forgot us': Honeymooner who caught coronavirus on doomed Diamond Princess blasts botched government evacuation and tells how his wife is 'struggling' on ship
- The Diamond Princess quarantine was 'a joke', says British honeymooner who blames the CREW for spreading virus to 600 people
- Churchgoers urged to avoid communion wine and shaking hands if they have 'coughs and sneezes' in coronavirus warning as China death toll rises to 1,380
- Evacuation flight carrying 32 British and European passengers evacuated from the coronavirus-riddled Diamond Princess takes off with less than HALF of the 78 UK nationals trapped on the cruise ship as officials admit some have refused to get on plane
Health MOTs to be offered alongside booster Covid vaccines this autumn have 787 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at June 16, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.