England head coach Gareth Southgate guided his side to an Euro 2020 opening win over Croatia (Image: GETTY)
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Gareth Southgate praised Raheem Sterling and Kalvin Phillips for their parts in England’s opening Euro 2020 victory over Croatia.
Sterling scored the only goal midway through the second half.
The Manchester City forwarded collected Calvin Phillips’ pass and finished.
It is the first time that England have won their opening match of a European Championship in 10 attempts.
“I think that Kalvin is a player who is so understated and who has had a fantastic start to his international career,” Southgate told the BBC after the Three Lions’ win.
“He was immense throughout the game, as they all were.
“I’m so pleased for Raheem. He’s had this hex, if you like, at tournaments with not being able to get a goal.
“I thought he was dangerous with his play. Right from the start, there was a throw-in inside and he was running at their defence and he looked a threat.
“He had a big influence.
“He’s a good player. His goalscoring record shows that we should have faith in him, especially in the last few years.
“I thought that he was motivated to show [his quality]. I’m really happy for him and for everybody.
“We’ve got a lot of depth, a lot of those attacking players – some who haven’t got in [the matchday squad] today. We will need those guys through the tournament.”
There were 22,500 fans allowed inside Wembley Stadium to watch England’s first Euro 2020 game.
Southgate believes that his side have provided a positive boost for the country.
“It’s lovely to have given our fans and our country a really enjoyable afternoon” Southgate added.
We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story. For the latest news and breaking news visit: express.co.uk/sport/football Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you. Follow us on Twitter @DExpress_Sport – the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account – providing real news in real time. We’re also on Facebook @DailyExpressSport – offering your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day to like, comment and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express and Express.co.uk .
- Declan Rice called up to England squad for Euro 2020 qualifiers
- Gareth Southgate tells England players to go for the jugular against Croatia
- Gareth Southgate warns England to shape up at the back or Croatia will beat them
- Gareth Southgate admits England schedule could get 'messy' if Premier League clubs reach June's Champions League final
- Chelsea's Callum Hudson-Odoi Called Up to England Squad for Euro 2020 Qualifiers
- England to play Euro 2020 qualifier with Kosovo
- Youth and enthusiasm help Gareth Southgate survive England gauntlet
- James Ward-Prowse added to England squad for opening Euro 2020 qualifiers
- England vs Czech Republic channel: How to watch Euro 2020 qualifier
- Hudson-Odoi to start for England in Euro 2020 qualifier against Montenegro with Sancho injured
- Gareth Southgate eyes golden era as path to home glory at Euro 2020 gets clearer
- Euro 2020 qualification draw: England handed easy group but Northern Ireland must face Germany and Holland
- Harry Kane is 'the best goalscorer in the world', says Gareth Southgate
- Southgate's England 'youth club' helping young stars shine
- England squad announcement for Euro 2020 qualifiers: West Ham midfielder Declan Rice called up
- Gareth Southgate wins SPOTY 2018 Coach of Year after England WC heroics
- Pep Guardiola may call Gareth Southgate to keep John Stones out of England team
- England squad announcement for Euro 2020 qualifiers: Live updates
- Rice and Winks can fill the midfield hole in Southgate’s England team and complete the manager’s youthful revolution
- England could face Germany in Euro 2020 qualifying after Portugal draw
Gareth Southgate singles out two England stars for praise after Euro 2020 win over Croatia have 722 words, post on www.express.co.uk at June 13, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.