Donald Trump 's company is suing New York City over its move to block the former US president from being able to run a golf course in the Bronx.
The Trump Organization has filed a lawsuit in the state court and argues the city's decision is 'politically motivated'.
It comes after New York City mayor Bill de Blasio terminated a management contract for the golf club between the Trump Organization and the city. The mayor ended the agreement following the events of January 6, when a mob of Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol.
The lawsuit argues that there was nothing in the 556-page contract that allowed de Blasio to cancel the contract on such grounds. It says the mayor had 'pre-existing, politically-based predisposition to terminate Trump-related contracts, and the City used the events of 6 January, 2021 as a pretext to do so'.
Trump's company has demanded that either it be allowed to continue to run the course or the city must pay millions of dollars to buy them out.
In a statement, the Trump Organisation said that de Blasio's actions are 'purely politically motivated, have no legal merit, and are yet another example of the mayor's efforts to advance his own partisan agenda and interfere with free enterprise'.
Mayor de Blasio announced the decision to cancel the golf course contract in January, and said it was Trump's 'criminal action' in inciting Capitol rioters that fueled the decision.
Bill Neidhardt, press secretary for the New York City mayor, tweeted to indicate the canceling of the contract was punishment was Trump's role in the riot on Capitol Hill.
'Donald Trump directly incited a deadly insurrection at the US Capitol', the Tweet said.
'You do that, and you lose the privilege of doing business with the City of New York. It's as simple as that.'
Following the attack on the Capitol, the city also ended contracts with the Trump Organisation to run two skating rinks and a carousel in Central Park.
Several other insurers, banks and brokers have also refused to do any future business with Donald Trump's company in the wake of the Capitol riot.
New York city officials have also pointed out a decision by the PGA (Professional Golfers' Association) of America, to cancel a tournament at one of Trump's golf courses in New Jersey as further back-up to its own decisions.
The city argues that Trump could no longer argue he can attract prestigious tournaments to the Bronx course as is required in the contract.
The Trump Organisation, however, has emphasized that the contract doesn't require it to attract tournaments and they need to only maintain the golf course as that is of 'first-class, tournament quality'. In filing the lawsuit, Trump officials also attached letters from course designers, golf organisations and famous golfers saying the course met that standard.
For more stories like this, check our news page .
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] .
Sign Up for News Updates
Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Not convinced? Find out more »
- Hear Eminem Blast Donald Trump Supporters on New LP Tease ‘Campaign Speech’
- New York City Puts The Freeze On 46 Ice Cream Trucks
- Democrats side with Donald Trump on one question from Republican Debate
- Demonstrators take to the streets in New York to rally for Trump impeachment
- Trump's New York Golf Course Has Seen Massive Decline in Visitors Since He Became President
- Donald Trump leads ALL the Democratic front-runners in 2020 poll despite impeachment saga as support for his ouster DROPPED by 5 points during House hearings
- BREAKING NEWS: Mitch McConnell declares Donald Trump's impeachment trial is 'at an IMPASSE' after talks with Chuck Schumer break down—and Harvard Law professor says president is NOT impeached yet because Nancy Pelosi won't send articles to the Senate
- BREAKING NEWS: Paul Manafort, 70, is treated in hospital for 'cardiac event' - on eve of New York court date and as his former deputy gets just 45 days in weekend jail after taking a plea deal
- 'I don't recall him staying with me': Britain's ex-consul general in New York casts doubt on Prince Andrew's claim he stayed with him not Epstein on fateful 'sex allegation' trip - in evidence presented to Palace just hours before duke stepped down
- 'Treasons Greetings!' Tens of thousands rally at protests across the nation in support of impeaching Donald Trump on eve of historic House vote
- Read in full: White House notes of Donald Trump's call with Ukrainian president
- Hillary Clinton concedes 'painful' election defeat, urges supporters' 'open mind' on Donald Trump
- Donald Trump's deputy campaign chairman Rick Gates gets 45 days in weekend jail for lying to the FBI after flipping on Paul Manafort, as judge says drug dealers who flip still have to go do time - so he should too
- Tina Fey blasts Donald Trump's response to Charlottesville and tells white supremacists "this is not our country - we stole it"
- Defiant Donald Trump says ‘try to impeach this’ as he shares map of every county won by Republicans during 2016 election
- US election: How Donald Trump won the White House
- 'Home Alone 2' Wikipedia Page Changed to Say Donald Trump is the First Cast Member to Be Impeached
- Tariffs and tweets: This is the new world order under Donald Trump
- Who is Robert ‘Woody’ Johnson? President Donald Trump’s US ambassador to Britain
- Rudy Giuliani partied at Donald Trump's Studio 54 themed Mar-a-Lago soirée after they both spoke to conservative students gathered for Turning Point's conference in West Palm Beach this weekend
Donald Trump’s company sues New York City over canceled rights to run golf course have 943 words, post on metro.co.uk at June 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.