A court on Tuesday asked former Indian Prime Minister H.D. Deve Gowda to pay 20 million Indian rupees ($269,000) in damages for “loss of reputation” to a road infrastructure company.
The Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprise (NICE) had sued Gowda for allegedly making “defamatory comments” in an interview with a local news channel in 2011.
NICE is a 4-6-lane private toll expressway in the state of Karnataka connecting the cities of Bengaluru and Mysuru.
Gowda, the founder of the party Janata Dal (Secular), had called a project by NICE a “loot” (robbery). The court added that the project in question has been upheld by the Supreme Court of India and was undertaken by the company for the good of the state of Karnataka.
Moreover, the project in question was given a nod by Gowda himself when he was the Karnataka state chief in 1995.
The counsel for NICE argued that the allegation made by Gowda about utilising more land than required was inaccurate.
“The company had no role in deciding the quantity of land required for the project. The allegation, therefore, was false and made by the defendant without there being any documentary evidence”, the counsel stated.
The court order has also restrained him from making any further “defamatory” claims against the company in the media.
“If defamatory statements like the present one are allowed to be made in future, definitely, implementation of such a massive project like the present one is going to be delayed. Therefore, this court feels that it is necessary to curb such statements by issuing permanent injunction against the defendant”, the court observed.
- Boris Johnson intervenes over US diplomat's wife: PM telephones Donald Trump to urge he 'reconsiders' decision to give diplomatic immunity woman who fled Britain after hit-and-run crash that left 19-year-old dead
- #MeToo: Vinta Nanda responds to Mumbai Court decision on Alok Nath
- FIFA Ultimate Team YouTubers to pay steep fines for violating UK gambling laws (update)
- It’s the Remix to Infection: R. Kelly Skipped Court Because His Toenail Is Missing
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Exclusive Hands-On - Bounty Hunter, Trooper, Imperial Agent, Smuggler, Sith Inquisitor, and
- #MeToo: Police files closure report after 8 months, says not enough evidence against Nana Patekar; Tanushree to challenge order
- How old ghosts are haunting Ireland
- PUBG Mobile banned in several Indian cities
- Vase sold in Thatcher auction was political gift, says ex-Cypriot leader
- Bloody Sunday: Ex-soldier arrested over Londonderry shootings
- Cheat makers Bossland ordered to pay Blizzard $8.6 million for copyright infringement
- The Remarkable Notability Of Old Man Murray
- Top 10 films of 2014: complete UK chart
- World of Warcraft DDoS Attacker Sentenced a Year Behind Bars
- Team Dignitas manager Odee talks 16 years in e-sports: "Who wants a real job?"
- Gaming Deals: Madden Xbox One Bundle + $50 GC, $10 Titanfall, $10 StarCraft 2
- Gaming Deals: $349 Xbox One Bundle + 1 Year Xbox Live, $18 The Order
- How to turn an old office PC into an affordable gaming platform
- Gaming Deals: Rare Replay + $10 Gift Card, B1G1 50% Off 3DS games, $379 PS4
- Ex-Red 5 CEO Mark Kern Discusses Buying Back the Firefall IP
Court Orders Ex-Indian Prime Minister Deve Gowda to Pay $269,000 in a 10-Year-Old Defamation Case have 489 words, post on sputniknews.com at June 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.