England’s nationwide lockdown could last until the end of March in some areas, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Wednesday in the British Parliament. Johnson’s statement came hours after he said that relaxing the nationwide measuressix weeks earlier was a possibility, with a review expected in the middle of next month. “The restrictions will be kept under continuous review, with a statutory requirement to review every two weeks and a legal obligation to remove them if they are no longer deemed necessary to limit the transmission of the virus,” he said. Johnson also promised to inoculate the top four priority groups with the first jab by mid-February. Britain is still assessing the US-developed Moderna vaccine, which the EU approved on Wednesday, Johnson’s spokesperson said. The UK reported 1,041 new deaths from the virus on Wednesday — the highest tally since the peak of the pandemic in April. A record 62,322 COVID-19 cases were also registered in the last 24 hours. Watch video 12:06 Share Getting the vaccine to everyone, everywhere Send Facebook Twitter reddit EMail Facebook Messenger Web Whatsapp Web Telegram linkedin Permalink https://p.dw.com/p/3miIJ Getting the vaccine to everyone, everywhere Europe Germany recorded a total of 1,019 deaths and over 21,200 new COVID-19 infections, according to the latest figures from the Robert Koch Institute, Germany’s public… Read full this story
- Review of the year – 2017 UK weather
- Let’s Talk About Black Women’s Daily ‘Indignities’
- 'It's a Deliberate Attack on Black Women': April Ryan Gets Real About 'Post-Racial' America
- Pulitzers Abound for Reporting on the Defenseless
- Google News Digest: Algo Update Confirmed and the EU’s Pressure to Reveal Ranking Factors
- The Brittle Paper Digest: 31 Notable Pieces of 2016
- 12 of the biggest media stories of 2018, from Paul Dacre’s departure as Daily Mail editor to Johnston Press sale
- How to report in vitro cancer studies: maitake mushroom extract doesn't "fight cancer"
- Globally, one in five deaths are associated with poor diet
- Reporting by Women Declining at Networks
Coronavirus digest: UK reports highest daily COVID deaths since April have 321 words, post on www.dw.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.