TUI has announced that it will offer test kits from £20pp for anyone on its package holidays this summer, which will include both lateral flow antigen and PCR tests.
When foreign holidays restart from the UK – May 17 being the earliest date – countries will be placed on green, amber and red lists, each with their own testing and quarantine requirements. For green destinations you’ll need to take a PCR test back in the UK, while multiple tests will be required for those returning from amber and red destinations.
With some PCR tests starting from £120 each, those costs can quickly add up and leave families forking out over £800 extra for holidays.
TUI has teamed up with Chronomics to offer its cheaper tests, which will include the delivery and return costs of the kits.
There will be four packages on offer – two for green list destinations, two for amber destinations (the firm isn’t operating trips to red destinations).
- Green package at £20pp containing 1 x pre-departure Lateral Flow Test and 1x inbound PCR test for day two
- Green package at £60pp containing 1 x outbound PCR test with courier costs 7 days a week included, 1 x pre-departure Lateral Flow Test and 1 x inbound PCR test for day two
- Amber package at £50pp containing 1 x pre-departure Lateral Flow Test and 2 x inbound PCR tests for day two and day 8
- Amber package at £90pp containing 1 x outbound PCR test with courier costs 7 days a week included, 1 x pre-departure Lateral Flow Test and 2 x inbound PCR tests for day two 2 and day 8
Brits can book their testing kits through a dedicated booking hub (which launches on May 10), an hour after they have booked their holiday. All they will need is their booking reference, departure date and country of travel.
The tests are for the UK’s requirements when you return, but if a country you’re travelling to requires a PCR test, you can also opt for a kit that includes an additional test.
Anyone booking a holiday for travel between May 17 and August 31 can also opt for the travel firm’s free Covid-19 cover protection.
You can find out more on tui.co.uk .
Get more travel inspiration and news
The Mirror’s travel newsletter brings you the latest news and expert analysis from across the industry, as well as plenty of travel inspiration.
Our travel experts also seek out the best deals whether for UK holidays or abroad.
It will be sent to your inbox twice a week, so sign up here .
TUI isn’t the only firm to be offering discounted PCR tests for its customers – a number of other companies including Jet2, easyJet and British Airways also offer cheaper tests – we’ve put together a guide comparing their prices to give you a helping hand.
The government is expected to reveal its green, amber and red list destinations on Friday as well as confirming a restart date for non-essential foreign travel.
The green list is the most appealing for holidaymakers as it doesn’t require any self-isolating or quarantine when you return to the UK, and you only need to take one PCR test when you’re back. (You’ll still need to take a pre-departure test).
The initial green list is expected to only include a small number of countries, which will be reviewed every three weeks. Malta and Portugal are some of the destinations that are looking likely for the first list – and both have already said they will welcome back British tourists. Portugal plans to welcome back Brits from mid May, while Malta is looking at a June 1 restart for its tourism.
Will you be booking a holiday abroad this summer? Let us know in the comments below.
- What Is the Future of Packaged Vacations After Thomas Cook’s Collapse?
- Friday's Best Deals: Nintendo Labo, Harry Potter Coding Kit, Italian Vacation, and More
- Bank holiday sales: these are the best deals from Amazon, Currys, AO, Argos and more
- Booze-loving Charlotte Crosby promoting insane Magaluf party package that includes 20 hours of unlimited boozing for £99
- Monday's Best Deals: Affordable Furniture, 20% Off Video Games, Laser Printer, and More
- Sunday's Best Deals: MacBooks, Air Fryer, LEGO Apollo Kit, and More
- Top 20 Best Wireless Charging Pads 
- Things to do in the Easter holidays - cheap days out to book across the UK
- littleBits Droid Inventor Kit review
- Brands turn to temporary pop-up shops to cash in on holiday shopping frenzy
TUI launches cheap PCR testing kits from £20 for Brits on package holidays have 729 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at May 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.