Eddie Hearn has insisted fight fans will “get an announcement next week” regarding Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight showdown with Tyson Fury .
The Matchroom Boxing promoter has been working tirelessly to get a deal over the line and has been doing so in the face of recent scepticism from Fury’s US promoter Bob Arum, who claimed the fight was “dead in the water”.
Hearn responded by suggesting Arum had “lost the plot” and has now reaffirmed his unwavering belief the fight will take place this summer, after Frank Warren confirmed discussions for the fight were moving forward.
“You heard from Frank Warren last night, who said quite rightly, last night we received the contract from the Middle East,” Hearn told Sky Sports Box Office on Saturday .
“All sides’ lawyers have got to go through that and make sure they’re happy with it.
“But we’re all systems go. This fight is on, this fight is happening. As I told everyone last week, back and forwards with the drafts.
“I believe you’ll get an announcement next week. I don’t know what else to tell you.
“I saw Bob Arum’s comments, ‘The fight is dead’. I don’t know where that came from.
“We know what we’re doing and that’s now been acknowledged by the other side, which is nice.”
Sign up for our boxing newsletter!
Every Monday we deliver our verdict on the weekend’s fights and, more importantly, what’s next for the winners and losers.
Signing up is easy, just click this link , enter your email address and select ‘Boxing’ from the list.
There were fears Hearn’s plan was beginning to unravel when Arum claimed it would take months for the details of the contract to be agreed from both sides, with those behind the site bid from Saudi Arabia also doing their own due diligence.
But Hearn quickly rebuffed his comments, blasting Arum’s “irrational behaviour” and labelling him “fickle”.
Warren – who also promotes Fury – had poured doubt on the event as well earlier this week when he stated he had not received an offer, but has since moved to allay any concerns.
“We’ve had something come through from the other side,’ Warren told
. “A contract which we’re all reviewing, a proposal.
Mirror Sport joins social media blackout
Mirror Sport is proud to stand in solidarity with everyone who faces hate and discrimination online.
Our sports social media accounts will be silent from 3pm on Friday 30 April to midnight on Monday 3 May.
We stand with football against hate.
‘”A proposed contract which we’re reviewing. And obviously we’ll look at it and hopefully we can agree terms. That’s what we all want.”
Hearn added that he expected negotiations to move to the next stage on Sunday night, before declaring: “Right now, Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua are in the absolute prime of their career.
“You will get this fight next, and you will get it for the undisputed world championship. We cannot move any quicker.”
- Tyson Fury now 'more popular than Anthony Joshua', claims Ricky Hatton
- Anthony Joshua calls on Deontay Wilder to fight him in the UK
- Eddie Hearn provides update on Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua sparring
- Frank Warren hits back at Anthony Joshua over Tyson Fury sparring offer
- Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder trilogy clause revealed with loser of February rematch able to demand third fight
- Tyson Fury slams rival Usyk as ‘cruiserweight bum’ after being overtaken in controversial WBO heavyweight rankings
- Anthony Joshua willing to give up world title to ‘create entertainment’
- Anthony Joshua shows off his hunky physique as he goes shirtless while hanging out on the beach with female companion during Barbados trip
- Tyson Fury sets retirement date ahead of Deontay Wilder rematch
- Anthony Joshua reveals battle with anxiety during ring walks and contemplated ‘what if I turn back, I can’t do this’
Promoters of Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury deliver promising updates on contract talks have 675 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at May 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.