Prince William meets players during visit to Villa Park
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
The Duke of Cambridge went to visit the football club, which he personally supports, to see their new £6million performance centre. While there, William paid tribute to the club's manager Dean Smith and his father Ron, who sadly died of coronavirus this year aged 79. He also met the Villa players but ended up having a somewhat awkward interaction with one of the defenders.
Kortney Hause admitted to the Duke he had been stopped by the police on the way to the engagement for speeding.
He asked them to let him go because he was off to meet the Duke of Cambridge, and he ended up making the meeting on time.
Mr Hause said he told the officer: "You've got to let me go, I'm meeting the Duke of Cambridge."
William reportedly gave an awkward laugh before saying: "I love it. I won't ask how fast you were going."
Prince William laughed awkwardly at the story (Image: GETTY)
Prince William meeting Aston Villa players at their new performance centre (Image: GETTY)
Pod Save the Queen is hosted by Ann Gripper and features Daily Mirror royal editor Russell Mers.
Mr Myres said he thinks the Duke did find the story "quite funny" if a little uncomfortable.
He said: "One of the defenders admitted that he got stopped by the police on his way to the meeting.
"And he actually said to the cops, 'Listen, you've got to let me go because I've got a meeting with the Duke of Cambridge.'
Prince William sported claret and blue for the engagement (Image: GETTY)
"And we don't really know, we couldn’t find out what actually happened or whether he was actually done for speeding, did he get a ticket?
"But he ended up making the appointment so one may only presume that the police let him off with a rap across the knuckles and they let him go.
"But William I think gave a bit of an awkward laugh but he did find it funny, and he said, 'Best not to tell me how fast you were going,' but he still found it quite funny, it was quite amusing."
William, 38, wore a claret jumper and blue shirt for the engagement in Bodymoor Heath.
DON’T MISS Meghan Markle made her mark at Nottingham Cottage with design [INSIGHT] Harry's Vax Live challenged for Joe Biden cameo despite export ban [REVEALED] Kate Middleton's standing ovation at BBC event before Harry’s Vax Live [VIDEO]
Aston Villa manager Dean Smith sadly lost his father to Covid this year (Image: GETTY)
He chatted with players including star midfielder and England Euro 2020 hopeful Jack Grealish and joked with players that he was the best "armchair manager".
He also told the Villa manager his father Ron Smith would have been "very proud" of the achievements of his son, who has steered the team to promotion and Premier League safety since his appointment in 2018.
William said: "His loss is just one of the many ways the pandemic has impacted the club over the last 12 months.
"I want to offer my sincere condolences to Dean and pay tribute to his extraordinary contribution to the club since joining in 2018.
"I know your dad would be very proud.
"I'm immensely proud to be associated with a club that does so much through the Aston Villa Foundation in support of the community, especially through the pandemic as we've heard today.
"I can't think of a cooler place than Villa Park to be vaccinated ‒ unless you're a Birmingham City fan."
In recent weeks, the Duke, who is the president of the Football Association, spoke out against the European Super League, which is now dead in the water.
He also joined the football community in its social media boycott last weekend to highlight online racism and abuse.
To subscribe to Pod Save the Queen go to your normal podcast provider.
- Prince Harry and Prince William’s feud explained: What has happened between the royal brothers?
- Prince William Visits a Soccer Team on Thanksgiving — and Gets Presents for His Kids!
- Prince William Urges Son Prince George to Treat Sister Princess Charlotte Equally at Soccer
- Prince William is ‘more worried about Aston Villa being relegated’ amid Royal Family split with Prince Harry and Meghan
- Prince William Gone Wild! See the Royal Dad Celebrate When His Favorite Soccer Team Wins
- Prince William leaves Kensington Palace the morning after crunch Sandringham Summit while royal negotiators start hammering out Megxit questions over couple's funding and titles
- Meghan Markle grins as Prince Harry awkwardly touts her for ANOTHER Disney voiceover job at Lion King premiere
- Prince William worried about Aston Villa survival hopes, says former FA vice-chair
- Prince William is left to host wildlife task-force he set up with Harry alone as his younger brother starts new life in Canada with a series of events for Aids charity... but did he even say goodbye?
- Royal rift: What's really going on with Prince William and Prince Harry?
- The Royal Family enters a new era as senior members gather at Buckingham Palace WITHOUT Prince Harry: William hosts his first solo reception tonight - as his brother prepares to leave Britain for his new life in Canada
- ‘I can’t wait’! Prince Harry shares his excitement hours before he marries Meghan Markle but teases crowds who have queued to meet him ….’ I’m actually just going to the pub'
- EXCLUSIVE: Harry arrives in Canada to start his new life with Meghan away from the Royals after skipping his brother William's first solo reception at Buckingham Palace
- William, Kate & kids take £73 FlyBe flight to Balmoral – after Harry and Meghan took four private jets in 11 days
- From income, residence to security: All about Prince Harry, Meghan’s new life
- Canada's biggest newspaper says Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are not welcome and they should not treat the country as a 'halfway house'
- Why so cheerful? Prince Andrew is seen smiling as he leaves Buckingham Palace in his £220,000 Bentley as Megxit crisis rumbles on
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry 'are considering a move to her native Los Angeles or former Suits base Toronto and NOT Vancouver Island where they spent six-week break'
- Harry and Wills' 'secret talks': Princes 'heal their rift in man-to-man discussions as brothers' - ahead of Harry's move to Canada
- Prince George, Charlotte and Louis ‘have only seen cousin Archie twice since he was born’
Prince William’s awkward laugh after Villa footballer is stopped by the police have 1250 words, post on www.express.co.uk at May 9, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.