Prince Philip’s death was certified by Sir Huw Thomas, the head of the royal medical household and the physician to the Queen
Prince Philip ‘s cause of death has been confirmed.
The 99-year-old royal died of “old age,” according to The Telegraph , which reportedly obtained his death certificate.
The death was certified by Sir Huw Thomas, the head of the royal medical household and the physician to the Queen.
Typically, the term “old age” is acceptable as a cause of death if the patient is over 80 years old and if the physician has personally cared for them over a long period, The Telegraph reported.
Sir Huw Thomas has been caring for the Duke of Edinburgh and Queen Elizabeth since 2014.
Philip, who would have turned 100 in June, had been plagued by health issues in recent years after retiring from his public duties in August 2017.
He abruptly canceled his appearance at the traditional Maundy church service that he was scheduled to attend with the monarch in March 2018. Philip also skipped Easter Sunday services that year ahead of the announcement that he underwent hip replacement surgery.
The royal had a car accident in January 2019 that resulted in him voluntarily giving up his license . That December, he was hospitalized in relation to a “pre-existing condition,” the palace said at the time.
He was again admitted to King Edward VII hospital on Feb. 16 to undergo a few days of observation and rest after “feeling unwell” and being “treated for an infection,” according to Buckingham Palace. This resulted in the prince’s longest ever hospital stay: 28 days.
In March, he was transferred to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital — a high-tech specialized hospital — for an operation on what was called a “pre-existing heart condition.” He was then moved back to King Edward VII hospital. He returned to Windsor Castle on March 16, where he had been staying with the Queen amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Philip died “peacefully” on April 9 at Windsor Castle , Buckingham Palace announced last month.
He also leaves behind eight grandchildren, including Prince William and Prince Harry and nine great-grandchildren, including Prince George , Princess Charlotte , Prince Louis , Archie and Princess Eugenie ‘s new baby boy, August , whose middle name is Philip.
A funeral was held for Philip on April 17.
- Prince Philip latest – Queen ‘personally takes charge’ of Meghan and Harry crisis with Duke still recovering in hospital
- Prince Philip latest news – Queen fights for peace amid Meghan & Harry row as Duke of Edinburgh remains in hospital
- Train company falsely claims Prince Philip passed away
- Meghan and Harry 'agreed' to postpone Oprah interview if Prince Philip died
- Prince Philip latest – Meghan and Harry Oprah interview will STILL air despite Duke’s heart condition surgery
- Hard-working Queen, 94, carries out engagements as Prince Philip, 99, rests in hospital after falling ill
- Prince Philip remains in hospital for eighth day in longest unplanned stay for over decade amid growing concern for his health
- Prince Philip birthday – Best gaffes and quotes from the Duke of Edinburgh
- Prince Philip latest news – Harry and Meghan ‘could burn final bridge’ with stricken Duke and Queen with Oprah interview
- Prince Philip, 99, to stay in hospital for ‘several more days’ as he recovers from infection
- Prince Philip, 99, moved to St Bart’s hospital for treatment for infection and heart condition & he’ll stay in this week
- Royal Family ‘united in prayers’ for Prince Philip after he moves hospital for treatment for infection & heart condition
- Why Prince Philip isn't King, but Kate Middleton will be Queen when William takes throne
- Royal Family 'united in prayers' for Prince Philip as mood 'significantly shifts'
- How old is Prince Philip and when is he 100?
- Iron Duke: Queen’s Husband Prince Philip Walks Out of Hospital After Heart Procedure
- Prince Philip Out of Hospital After Heart Surgery and Infection
- Queen, Prince Philip receive COVID-19 vaccine
- Prince Philip transferred to another hospital as he fights infection and heart condition
- Meghan and Harry agreed to pull bombshell Oprah chat if Prince Philip died, pal says
Prince Philip's Cause of Death Revealed by Queen's Physician as 'Old Age': Report have 768 words, post on people.com at May 4, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.