Zara and Mike Tindall: Expert on 'breaking royal protocol'
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Zara Tindall 's rugby player husband told the Duchess of Gloucester in a video chat marking World Parkinson's Day that his mother is the prime carer for his father. He said: "We keep telling her that she doesn't need to be that but she's a very stoic northern lady who refuses to give her man up. "We try to convince her that you're not giving up your man, you're just allowing the frustrating parts of it that get you riled up, that someone else deals with and it also gives you a life."
Mike added that the coronavirus pandemic has made things worse because both his parents are on the vulnerable list and have barely left the house.
He said his mother has missed "companionship" because she does not feel comfortable leaving her husband on his own.
He added: "We've tried having the odd carer come in and look after him to give her time…"
The Duchess of Gloucester said: "It can be really difficult to persuade somebody like you mother that, for her own sake but also for her husband's sake, to be out a little bit to come back with a bit of news to chat about.
Mike Tindall speaking to the Duchess of Gloucester about Parkinson’s (Image: YouTube (The Royal Family))
The Duchess of Gloucester speaking to Mike Tindall about Parkinson’s (Image: YouTube (The Royal Family))
"It's quite healthy isn't it?"
She added that it is very interesting and important to hear him talk about this so people can hear how much it involves a partner or wife or husband.
She said: "It is such a teamwork isn't it? The team needs to be truly supported and I hope that we are doing that."
Pod Save the Queen is hosted by Ann Gripper and features Daily Mirror royal editor Russell Myers.
Zara Tindall and her husband Mike (Image: GETTY)
The pair talked about Mike's mother and how it is a "double-edged sword" that people struggle to accept help from others.
They reflected on how Parkinson's is a "very testing" disease for both the sufferer and their family.
Mr Myers said: "This was quite nice that they were teaming up and they seem to get on very well.
"Have you seen the video? They are not strangers, I know they are distant family members.
DON’T MISS Camilla's heartbreaking nod to Prince Philip with royal engagement [INSIGHT] Meghan Markle enjoying how 'doors open' for her with royal title [EXPERT] Prince William's awkward laugh after footballer's story: 'Won't ask!’ [QUOTE]
The Duchess of Gloucester and Mike Tindall were very friendly (Image: YouTube (The Royal Family))
"But it was quite interesting Mike talking about the terrible impact Parkinson's has had on his father Philip and the unfortunate isolation his parents have had to go through as well throughout the coronavirus crisis.
"And paying tribute to his mother Linda, calling her a very stoic northern lady who refuses to give her man up.
"But also it’s sort of a double-edged sword because she has a bit of a struggle of accepting help from other people.
"And no doubt Parkinson's is a very testing disease for both the person who is suffering but also their family."
Mike Tindall opens up on life with new baby Lucas
Mr Myers added that it showed a different side to Mike because we are used to seeing him making jokes on his rugby podcast, but this was a more serious, more personal insight into his life and family.
He also noted that Mike went on BBC Breakfast the next day, where he made comments about how he was "in awe" of the Queen sitting on her own at Prince Philip's funeral.
Zara and Mike's new baby Lucas has the middle name Philip after two important relatives.
One Philip is Zara's grandfather, the Duke of Edinburgh, and the other Philip is Mike's father.
Zara Tindall, Princess Anne's daughter, married Mike in 2011 and the pair have three children together.
To subscribe to Pod Save the Queen go to your normal podcast provider.
- Trigger man testifies in Florida trial featuring "sex, lies and deceit" – and alligators
- Hundreds pay respects to Botham Jean, man killed by police officer neighbor
- 'Glee's' Cory Monteith Tribute: TV Review
- Man convicted in Texas dismemberment slaying
- Four Years of Access to Whale Hunts: Director Mike Day on
- Mom recalls heartbreaking past with opioids, applauds Congress' new bill
- 'Exorcist' Director Reveals the Struggle to Make the Classic Film
- US marks 9/11 with somber tributes
- Toddler found dead on Galveston beach identified as Houston boy; mother, girlfriend arrested
- Tall tales and tributes top Telluride fest
- : Mike Mills on Bringing a Personal Story to Life
- Why A Potential Mike Pence Presidential Run Should Terrify Women
- BONG JOON-HO, “MOTHER”
- Tributes paid to Glen Campbell
- Sunken Treasure: on Wilco’s 20th anniversary, Alpha Mike Foxtrot and What’s Your 20?
- John Singleton dies after being removed from life support; mother, daughter had been fighting for control of his care, finances
- Cardi B Refused to Perform at Super Bowl to Support Colin Kaepernick: ‘We Got to Stand Behind Him’
- Tribeca Film Festival Announces First Titles From Narrative, Documentary and Viewpoints Sections
- Discovery Touts 'Wallenda Live,' 'Klondike' Mini in 2013-14 Slate
- Tribeca Film Festival Announces 2015 Spotlight and Midnight Sections
Mike Tindall’s heartbreaking tribute to mother’s struggle: ‘Refuses to give her man up!’ have 1051 words, post on www.express.co.uk at May 17, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.