MANCHESTER UNITED are willing to offload Donny van de Beek after just one season, according to reports.
And they may try to use the flop transfer as a makeweight in a deal for Roma sensation Nicolo Zaniolo.
Van de Beek, 24, arrived from Ajax last summer in a £39million deal but has struggled to make his mark at Old Trafford.
The Dutchman has made just three Premier League starts with Bruno Fernandes the clear first-choice No10.
And La Repubblica via Sport Witness state they could try and do a trade with Roma for Zaniolo.
The report says the Red Devils were ‘pressing and testing the water’ and have now ‘proposed an exchange’ with the Serie A side.
The attacking midfielder is under contract until 2024 but has not played a single minute of club football this season due to a cruciate ligament injury.
But Ole Gunnar Solskjaer still appears interested in the seven-cap Italy international.
And on top of that, it is thought his price tag will have dropped as a result of his injury woes – despite the Roma hierarchy insisting he ‘cannot be touched’.
Most read in Football
The offer of sending Van de Beek the other way could make a deal even more likely.
He is understood to be well liked by Roma but his wage demands could prove a stumbling block.
Edinson Cavani helped fire the Red Devils to a 6-2 win in the first leg at Old Trafford on Thursday.
Van de Beek was an unused sub as United put one-and-a-half feet in May’s final in Gdansk.
⚽ Read our Football live blog for the very latest news from around the grounds
Rio Ferdinand questions why Man Utd made £40m Donny van de Beek transfer and feels sorry for ‘intelligent’ midfielder
- Mohamed Salah faces late Liverpool fitness test ahead of Man Utd trip
- Who could Donny van de Beek, Matthijs de Ligt and Steven Bergwijn join this summer?
- Carabao Cup hits and misses: Liverpool win tie of the round, Man Utd find form
- Euro Paper Talk: Man United will have to pay £85m to sign Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona
- Crunch time for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Manchester United: Five games to shape their season?
- Patrice Evra retires: Former Man United defender will go down as Premier League great
- Serie A preview: Will Inter or Napoli dethrone Juventus?
- Football transfers - Summer Done Deals 2019: Premier League, EFL, WSL, Scottish Premiership, European
- Which Premier League trends will emerge in 2019/20?
- Premier League predictions: Who will win? Who will go down? Who will be top scorer?
Man Utd ‘willing to offer Donny van de Beek to Roma in swap transfer for Nicolo Zaniolo’ after flop first season have 576 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.