A 16-year-old boy has been charged with the murder of a father-of-four who was stabbed to death.
James Gibbons died soon after he was attacked in the street where he lived in Laindon, Essex , on Sunday evening – the day of his twin daughters’ birthday.
Essex Police said the 34-year-old self-employed plumber is believed to have gone to the aid of another man, then died in an altercation that ensued.
Six teenagers were arrested as part of the force’s investigation.
A 16-year-old boy has now been charged with murder and will appear at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
A 13-year-old boy arrested on suspicion of murder has been released on bail until 14 May.
Police said two girls, aged 15 and 16, who were arrested on suspicion of murder, have been told they face no further charges.
More on Essex
- Maria Rawlings death: Man, 20, arrested on suspicion of murder after body found in Romford shrubbery
- Caroline Community Radio told off by Ofcom for playing ‘sexual moaning’ song at 8.20am during school run
- South Woodford: Two men charged after ‘brazen’ kidnapping in front of ‘shocked’ witnesses
- COVID-19: ‘Hundreds’ found and several arrested at illegal raves in Essex, Edinburgh and Kent over Easter Bank Holiday
- Richard Okorogheye: Police continue Epping Forest search 12 days after student disappeared
- Electrician, 73, cleared of manslaughter over death of seven-year-old boy at pub
Meanwhile, a 14-year-old boy arrested in connection with the murder has been released on bail until 25 May.
A 13-year-old boy has been told he faces no further action in relation to the murder, but has been released on bail in connection with an assault offence, police said.
Mr Gibbons, of Iris Mews, was described by his family as an “amazing father of four young children, engaged to his partner of 11 years, and… a loving and supportive son and brother”.
In a statement released through police, they said: “James was a hard-working family-orientated man, who ran his own bathroom-fitting company and was looking forward to a positive future for him and his family.
“This tragedy occurred after he had spent the day celebrating his two-year-old twin girls’ birthday at home and we are absolutely broken beyond belief at this pointless loss which has had a devastating effect on us all.
“James was the kind of person who would always be prepared to help anyone less fortunate than himself, which is what he was doing on Sunday night.
“As a family, we are urging anyone to come forward with any information that may help the police as they investigate James’ death in the hope we can get justice.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident, has footage of what led to it or has information on it is asked to submit a report online at www.essex.police.uk or call 101 and cite incident 1292 of May 2.
Information can also be given to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- Teen, 16, charged with murder of dad-of-four stabbed to death after twins' birthday
- Dalian Atkinson: Neighbour feared ex-footballer was dead after officer 'stamped' on his head, trial hears
- Essex lorry deaths: Man arrested in Middlesbrough in people-smuggling probe linked to to deaths of 39 Vietnamese migrants
Laindon stabbing: Boy, 16, charged with murder of 'amazing' father-of-four who died on his twin girls' birthday have 516 words, post on news.sky.com at May 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.