Footage from inside a maternity unit shows the incredible birth of nine babies from one mum.
Halima Cisse, 25, from Mali, captured the attention of the West African nation when she delivered her nine babies via C-section on Tuesday.
Doctors originally thought she would give birth to seven babies after she had an ultrasound- but missed two of them in a scan.
Halima, flown in to Morocco for specialist care, went on to give birth to five girl and four boys – with doctors saying all children and mum are doing well.
Footage taken shortly after the birth shows a team of medics dealing with the babies as they are swaddled and checked over.
Should all nine babies survive, the birth would break the current world record set by ‘Octomum’ Nadya Suleman in 2009, who gave birth to eight babies that survived.
Nonuplets are extremely rare and medical complications associated with multiple births often mean that some of the babies do not reach full term.
Halima spent two weeks in Point G Hospital in the Malian capital of Bamako before she was transferred to Morocco after the intervention of Mali’s President of Transition Bah N’Daw.
She was admitted to the Moroccan clinic on March 20 and finally gave birth on Tuesday.
It is currently unclear if her pregnancy was due to In vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment, which is one of the more common causes of multiple births, how much the babies weigh, or how far along she was in her pregnancy.
The first recorded set of nonuplets was in Sydney in the 1971, with two stillborn and none of the babies survived more than a week.
Similarly in another case in Malaysia, in 1999, all nine of the babies died shortly after birth.
The nonuplet news comes after a woman who didn’t know she was pregnant gave birth on board an airplane.
It was not the kind of arrival Lavinia Mounga was expecting as she flew from Salt Lake City in the US to Honolulu.
Sign up to our newsletter to get the day’s biggest news straight to your inbox
The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.
The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.
Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here .
She was flying to Hawaii with her family last week when she began having contractions.
“Overwhelmed in the best ways,” she tweeted on Saturday after the in-flight delivery that followed went viral.
A fellow passenger shared footage of the heart warming moment the whole cabin burst into applause after a stunned Lavinia gave birth birth mid-flight.
- New mums rate King’s Mill Hospital as joint best for giving birth
- Jordanne Whiley: I was terrified my baby would have my disability
- Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury in perspective
- NFL notebook: Newton (shoulder) won't play Sunday
- Man Utd survive late Brighton fightback to maintain Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's perfect start
- Conor McGregor shares family photo from US for Super Bowl as Dee Devlin pictured for first time since lovechild claims
- Man Utd hang on to survive late Brighton fightback as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer maintains perfect start
- Maryland vs. Iowa score: Terps knock off Hawkeyes with late Bruno Fernando tip-in as Iowa goes down to the wire again
- Chavis talks up future
- 1963 Dodge Dart – Street-Legal Factory Experimental Replica!
Inside maternity unit where mum gave birth to nine babies after two missed in scan have 559 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at May 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.