Amy Schumer admits she's 'knows nothing' about Brexit in 2016
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Ignazio Cassis, the Swiss foreign minister, said his countries demands were "not met" by Brussels. In response, David C Bannerman, a Brexiteer and former Tory MEP, said Switzerland could cancel all of its deal with the EU.
He tweeted: "It is now increasingly likely that Switzerland abandons the 120 bilateral agreements it has with the EU, steps away from the EU Single Market, and adopts a similar trade deal to the UK's TCA [Trade and Cooperation Agreement]."
Brussels was mocked for its short-sightedness by Express.co.uk readers.
One commented: "Everyone grows up to be a Brexiteer.
"It is called wisdom, comes from experience, and is why the remoaners are fading away."
Switzerland has rejected a new trade deal with the EU (Image: GETTY)
Swiss president Guy Parmelin (Image: GETTY)
Another added: "The Swiss chose freedom, how very date they?"
A third remarked: "And what will the EU's answer to this latest event be? 'More Europe?'"
Switzerland and the EU clashed during negotiations over free movement rules.
Brussels demanded free movement for all EU citizens, regardless of whether they have employment in the country.
Switzerland held a referendum on immigration in 2020 (Image: GETTY)
They also called for equal access to the Swiss social security system for their nationals.
Announcing the deal had failed the Swiss government said: "Concluded that there remain substantial differences between Switzerland and the EU on key aspects of the agreement.
"The conditions are thus not met for the signing of the agreement.
"This brings the negotiations on the draft of the InstA [proposed treaty] to a close."
Sturgeon blow as independence could sacrifice Scotland’s influence [SHOCK] ‘Britain is back!’ MP hints at TWO new lucrative trade deals [REVEAL] A Place in the Sun host says Brexit won’t stop people buying abroad [INSIGHT]
Switzerland has around 120 trade agreements with the EU (Image: GETTY)
Britain formally left the EU in January 2020 (Image: GETTY)
Swiss President Guy Parmelin added: "The government found that the talks with the EU in three areas did not lead to the necessary solutions.
"That is why the government decided to end the negotiations."
Several Express.co.uk readers commented on how strong the Swiss position is, and asked if the UK could offer assistance.
One said: "Good for the Swiss.
Brexit has 'shaken things up' says Sion Jobbins
"We should form a free trade zone that enables other EU states to leave."
A second noted: "The Swiss could make life very difficult for the EU if they stopped access to EU goods using the tunnels and rail network."
Another wrote: "Anyone who thinks membership of an EU electricity union or health “co-operation” would be a good thing is being rather economical with the truth.
"We should form a free trade zone that enables other EU states to leave" (Image: GETTY)
"The vaccine debacle has shown that very clearly on health.
"What Switzerland are realising is that the EU’s share of world trade and GDP has fallen year on year.
"This socialist Ponzi scheme is failing and it’s time to get out and follow the UK into prioritising trade with the rest of the world."
- U.S. Ambassador Warns Trade Deal with UK ‘Totally up in the Air’ After May’s Brexit Compromise
- Trump Promises ‘Big’ Trade Deal Despite May’s Brexit Betrayal
- Majority of Americans Continue to Support UK-U.S. Bilateral Trade Deal
- Brexit Trade Deal ‘Will Get Done’ by Trump, Says U.S. Ambassador
- Remainer Jamie Oliver says we should 'get on with Brexit' because he 'believes in democracy' and the country should 'move on' - but issues warning over US trade deal
- Brexit rush for US trade deal could force tough concessions, say critics
- Boris’s Trade Secretary Confirms Powerful New British-American Trade Deal is ‘Top Priority’
- Trump: May’s Brexit Plan ‘Will Probably Kill’ U.S. Trade Deal
- No 10 source: Brexit talks on brink of collapse after Merkel-Johnson call
- Raab tells EU 'no deal Brexit means no £39billion divorce settlement'
- Brussels wants us to pay £50 every time we visit Europe after Brexit
- Brexit uncertainty slows economy and raises risk of job losses
- TOTAL CAPITULATION: May Proposes Sub-Norway Brexit Deal – Concedes on Goods, Rules, EU Court, and More
- UK cannot have a special deal for the City, says EU's Brexit negotiator
- EU on brink of backing down over single market membership after Brexit
- PM Johnson Woos U.S. Investment with Post-Brexit Lower Taxes, Regulation Cuts
- Farage Plans Independent Trade Delegation to U.S.
- U.S. Wants ‘Cutting Edge’ Free Trade Agreement with UK After Brexit
- Theresa May arrives for key EU Brexit summit after last-minute pact with Spain
- How Brexit Will Affect Self-Employment
'Good for the Swiss!' Brexiteers celebrate as EU trade deal collapses into chaos have 913 words, post on www.express.co.uk at May 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.