A woman who says she stopped two men breaking into her hotel room when she was just 15 by recalling advice her stepdad had given her has gone viral after sharing a series of videos online.
A clip shared on TikTok shows a device which can be fed underneath doors and used to pull down the handle from the inside and has racked up more than 13 million views as it warned people of the danger.
It was spotted by Josie Bowers , who replied to say that it had happened to her when she was on holiday with her family in what she says was the “scariest experience of my life”.
Josie says when she was a teenager, she stayed in Ocean City in Maryland, US, and was alone in the hotel room getting ready while the rest of her family were still on the beach.
As she was about to get into the shower, she said she heard noises and found the contraption featured in the video had been put under the door.
Before she had time to think, Josie says a man began to open the door while she was standing in her towel, and she quickly slammed it shut again and put the deadbolt on.
She says the men spoke through the door to claim they were hotel workers who were there to ‘fix the door’, but that she could tell from their clothing that they were not employees.
Terrified about what they were planning to do, she says in the moment she was able to recall the advice her stepdad had given her which sent the men running.
Josie, now 19, explained: “I think I’m very smart for this one. My stepdad is a police officer, he taught me never to let people know that you are alone.
“I yelled ‘hey dad, there’s someone here to fix the door’. As soon as they thought that I wasn’t alone and that potentially my dad was there, they ran. They were gone.”
Josie’s videos have been viewed millions of times as one person commented to say: “Ok but the ‘hey dad there’s someone here’ idea was brilliant. You are very smart and I’m so glad you were okay!”
A second wrote: “That was great thinking babe, I’m glad you were able to think that fast and remember something you’d be taught.”
And someone else added: “I’m rarely ever scared but this got me.”
- Sterling recalls time Mayweather tried to steal his girlfriend
- Shawne Merriman’s advice to Pro Bowl rookies: Keep your room number to yourself
- Column: The head-slapping better not stop with Beckham Jr.
- Girl, eight, wrongly told she had a nut allergy 'was left fighting for her life in hospital after doctors failed to spot she had toxic shock syndrome'
- Putin, recalling Boston bombers, wants Sochi safe
- The Latest: Germany: Mounting info of planned stadium attack
- The Latest: US lawmakers condemn the attacks in Paris
- The Latest: German minister mum on details of planned attack
- The Latest: US: Very likely IS directed the Paris attacks
- The Latest: Paris attackers known to American intelligence
- The Latest: Paris attacks spark suspicions about refugees
- The Latest: France: 195 attack victims still hospitalized
- The Latest: Eagles of Death Metal: still horrified at attack
- In the land of the Super Bowl, recalling Neil Parry’s amazing comeback
- College Football Playoff: Three potential nightmare scenarios
- Jets’ Rich Bedell hasn’t let wheelchair stop or define him
- USF worn down by Navy’s triple-option rushing attack
- Making Weight: A First Hand Account of a Journalist Cutting Weight With a Pro
- These days, Ford, Oklahoma State are exceeding expectations
- An inside look at the final weeks of a Joe Lauzon training camp
Girl stops potential hotel room attack by recalling advice stepdad had given her have 605 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at May 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.