A former Ugandan child soldier who became a rebel commander has been sentenced to 25 years in prison.
Judges at the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, the Netherlands , said Dominic Ongwen’s own abduction as a schoolboy and tortured past prevented him from being handed a life sentence.
Ongwen, who was taken into ICC custody in 2015, was convicted in February of 61 crimes including rape, sexual enslavement, child abductions, torture and murder.
He was abducted by the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) when he was nine and forced into a life of violence.
Led by fugitive warlord Joseph Kony, the LRA terrorised Ugandans for around 20 years as the group battled the government of President Yoweri Museveni from bases in northern Uganda and neighbouring countries.
It has now largely been wiped out.
Ongwen knowingly committed a range of heinous crimes as an adult, many of them against defenceless children and women who had been forced into slavery.
More on Uganda
- Dominic Ongwen: Former Joseph Kony deputy and LRA commander found guilty of war crimes in Uganda
- Ugandan court orders military and police to leave Bobi Wine’s property
- Bobi Wine – Could Uganda’s pop star turned politician ever be president?
- Bobi Wine: Uganda’s pop star politician makes plea to the world after being ‘made prisoner in his own home’
- Uganda: After contentious election, people needed answers but opposition could not provide any
- Uganda presidential election: Incumbent Yoweri Museveni declared winner
Judge Bertram Schmitt told the court on Thursday: “The chamber is confronted in the present case with a unique situation.”
He said Ongwen was “a perpetrator who wilfully brought tremendous suffering upon his victims, however, also a perpetrator who himself has previously endured extreme suffering at the hands of the group of which he later became a prominent member and leader”.
Ongwen, 46, wearing a face mask and headphones, showed no emotion as he was given a jail sentence five years longer than the 20 years prosecutors had requested.
His lawyers argued he should get no more than a 10-year sentence because of his childhood history.
They have said they will appeal the conviction.
- Congolese warlord Bosco ‘Terminator’ Ntaganda whose child soldiers disembowelled BABIES is jailed for just 30 years
- Congo warlord Thomas Lubanga convicted of using child soldiers
- Congo warlord ‘The Terminator’, who oversaw a massacre of men and women found disembowelled or with their heads crushed is jailed for 30 years for crimes against humanity
- Congolese rebel leader known as 'the Terminator' given 30 years in jail for war crimes
- War crimes judges sentence Congolese warlord Ntaganda to 30 years in prison
- Child soldiers used in Yemen civil war, report says
- Central African Republic militia leader arrested in France for war crimes
- Defense Secretary Mark Esper will urge Donald Trump NOT to intervene in three war crimes courts-martial following claims he will use Veterans Day to halt prosecutions and restore disgraced SEAL's rank
- Bosco Ntaganda, warlord known as 'Terminator,' convicted of war crimes
- Why is Germany putting an Afghan man on trial for war crimes?
Dominic Ongwen: Ugandan former child soldier turned rebel commander jailed for 25 years for war crimes have 494 words, post on news.sky.com at May 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.