A 16-YEAR-OLD boy was last night charged with the murder of James Gibbons.
The dad of four was knifed to death in Laindon, Essex, on Sunday after offering a homeless man food from his barbecue.
A 16 year-old boy arrested shortly after the incident has been charged with murder and is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court tomorrow, Essex Police said.
Detectives have also arrested a sixth person as part of their investigation, while a 13-year-old boy who was arrested yesterday on suspicion of murder has since been released on bail until May 14.
Witnesses said Gibbons had been trying to stop a group of teenagers from picking on a homeless man when he was attacked.
Family members yesterday paid tribute to "Gibbo" saying they were "absolutely broken beyond belief".
They said in a statement: "James was an amazing father of four young children, engaged to his partner of 11 years, and was a loving and supportive son and brother.
"James was a hard-working family-orientated man, who ran his own bathroom fitting company and was looking forward to a positive future for him and his family.
"This tragedy occurred after he had spent the day celebrating his two-year-old twin girls' birthday at home and we are absolutely broken beyond belief at this pointless loss which has had a devastating effect on us all.
"James was the kind of person who would always be prepared to help anyone less fortunate than himself, which is what he was doing on Sunday night.
"As a family we are urging anyone to come forward with any information that may help the police as they investigate James's death in the hope we can get justice."
Notes left with flowers at the scene described tragic James as "one in a million".
Under a picture of smiling James cuddling Victoria and their children, a friend wrote: "This breaks my heart."
James's death came six years after brother Ashley — described as "loyal and a fantastic uncle" — passed away unexpectedly from an epileptic seizure.
Most read in UK News
Counting underway in Hartlepool after polls close across UK on Super Thursday
Man mauled by dog ‘wanted it taken away after it attacked him hours earlier’
Friend Kerri Goss wrote on Facebook: "I have never known a family to have a bond that even comes close to theirs.
"That's how I know you'll get through this, forever looking out for each other, extending to friends that became family, never leaving one person not knowing how much they are loved and appreciated.
"They lived life to the fullest each and every day. I feel blessed to have known their huge personalities, loved by the biggest hearts and felt the uniqueness they brought into the world.
Dad of four, 34, knifed to death after offering food from twins' 2nd birthday barbecue to homeless man
- Homeless dad approaches police officers at bus depot and gets more than he asked for
- 'Your friends are dying while you stand there and video it': Teen, 16, is stabbed to death in violent after school brawl over a girl while 80 other kids FILM it - and do nothing to help
- Jodie Chesney’s friends say knife murder could be ‘case of mistaken identity’ as family pay tribute to 17-year-old after Harold Hill stabbing
- Don't be sniffy about David Walliams's children's books - he gets kids off their screens! The comedian-turned-author should be applauded for his success, writes Sally Morris
- The Trials of Tony Wright: How DNA Exonerated Convicted Murderer
- Revealed: Two teenagers arrested over murder of A* scholarship student, 17, at £12,000-a-year school are also pupils at prestigious schools and live in multimillion-pound homes
Boy, 16, charged with murder of hero dad of four James Gibbons who was knifed by kids while helping homeless man have 681 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 7, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.