Boris Johnson has reportedly married fiancée Carrie Symonds in a surprise ceremony.
The prime minister , 56, is said to have tied the knot with Ms Symonds, 33, in a small ceremony at Westminster Cathedral earlier on Saturday.
Downing Street would not comment on reports in the Mail On Sunday and The Sun newspapers, with one Number 10 aide saying: “I have been strictly told not to comment.”
It comes just a few days after Downing Street refused to comment on reports the pair were planning a “lavish” summer wedding .
It was reported the couple had sent out “save the date” cards telling family and friends to keep Saturday 30 July 2022 free for the celebrations.
More on Boris Johnson
- COVID-19: Matt Hancock committed ‘minor breach’ of ministerial code when NHS contract awarded to sister’s company
- Boris Johnson was ‘unwise’ to allow flat refurbishment ‘without more rigorous regard for how this would be funded’, report finds
- Viktor Orban: Why has No 10 had to defend Boris Johnson’s meeting with Hungarian leader?
- COVID-19: Matt Hancock denies dishonesty, but questions remain over Dominic Cummings’s care home accusation
- COVID-19: Boris Johnson avoids questions on Cummings allegations – but suggests some claims aren’t based on ‘reality’
- COVID-19: Hancock denies lying after Cummings claims health secretary should have been sacked for dishonesty
However, a spokesman for the couple, who became engaged during a holiday on the millionaires’ playground island of Mustique in late 2019, said it was a “private family event” and that they wouldn’t comment on “personal” matters.
The couple, who share son Wilfred, aged one, were first linked in early 2019 and the marriage would be Mr Johnson’s third.
The Sun reported that the ceremony at the Catholic cathedral was carried out by Father Daniel Humphreys who had given the couple pre-marriage instructions, and baptised Wilfred last year.
Shortly after 1.30pm, the Byzantine-style church was suddenly cleared of visitors, with staff saying it was going into lockdown, the newspaper said.
Half an hour later, a limousine carrying the bride swept into the piazza outside the main west door.
Ms Symonds wore a long white dress but not a veil, according to The Sun.
Mr Johnson and Ms Symonds were the first unmarried couple to live in Downing Street, having moved in together during July 2019.
He was previously married at the age of 23 to Allegra Mostyn-Owen in 1987.
He later married Marina Wheeler in 1993, but they separated in 2018. They have two daughters, Lara Lettice, 26, and Cassia Peaches, 22, and two sons Milo Arthur, 24, and Theodore Apollo, 20.
He also has another child, Stephanie Macintyre, with art consultant Helen Macintyre.
Weddings in England are currently subject to strict coronavirus restrictions and only up to 30 people in COVID -secure venues are allowed.
But dancing is advised against due to the increased risk of transmission, except for the couple’s traditional first dance.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
The wedding comes at the end of a difficult week for the prime minister in which his former aide Dominic Cummings branded him unfit for office .
The prime minister’s former aide said Ms Symonds had been desperate to oust him from his role as Mr Johnson’s right-hand man, and had sought to put her own friends in key positions.
Mr Cummings also claimed that in February 2020, when the pandemic was becoming a major global crisis, Mr Johnson was “distracted by finalising his divorce, his girlfriend wanted to announce being pregnant and an engagement, and his finances”.
Work and Pensions Secretary Therese Coffey tweeted a message of congratulations to the couple.
“Congratulations @BorisJohnson and @carriesymonds on your marriage today,” the cabinet minister said.
She was joined by Northern Ireland’s First Minister Arlene Foster, who tweeted: “Huge congratulations to Boris Johnson & Carrie Symonds on your wedding today.”
But Labour former frontbencher Jon Trickett said the wedding was “a good way to bury this week’s bad news” on Mr Cummings’ testimony, the spread of the Indian coronavirus variant and the row about funding of the Downing Street flat.
- Who is Carrie Symonds and how is the former Conservative communications aide linked to Boris Johnson?
- Boris Johnson ‘stepped in to save the job of Tory aide Carrie Symonds’ SIX MONTHS before his marriage ended amid cheating claims
- Boris Johnson's friend, Carrie Symonds, was one John Worboys' youngest victims
- Boris Johnson to be branded an adulterer by his long-suffering wife in humiliating divorce papers
- Boris Johnson ‘calls aide at centre of affair scandal and vows to protect her’
- Boris Johnson booted out by wife Marina after she accused him of cheating AGAIN
Boris Johnson marries Carrie Symonds in secret Westminster ceremony - reports have 768 words, post on news.sky.com at May 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.