Fred and Rose West are the UK's most notorious serial killer couple, carrying out some of the most shocking and horrific murders this country has ever witnessed.
Together they killed and tortured at least 10 women in Gloucestershire between 1967 and 1987.
The pair buried the bodies of most of their victims beneath the floor of their home at 25 Cromwell Street – however, police are currently searching a cafe on Southgate Street following reports that the body of one of their victims could be buried in the building.
If a body is found and is proved to be a victim of the couple, are Fred and Rose West still alive to face the consequences? And who were their murder victims?
Are Fred and Rose West still alive?
Fred West died by suicide on January 1, 1995, while in his prison cell on remand in HM Prison Birmingham awaiting trial.
Rosemary West, known as Rose, is still living in prison.
Rose, 67, currently serving her sentence at New Hall Prison in Wakefield, where's she gained the nickname 'Auntie Rose', because she reminded staff of their older relatives and loved knitting.
It seems almost unbelievable that she would acquire such a sweet nickname, considering her crimes.
Criminologist Dr Jane Carter Woodrow previously told Metro.co.uk : 'Rose has no remorse. She is a narcissistic psychopath and in some ways, it's like she derived pleasure from inflicting cruelty on these young girls, many of who were like herself.'
Rose was convicted of 10 murders and sentenced to 10 life terms with a whole life order in November 1995 – this was the second instance of this order being imposed on a woman in the UK in modern times, the first being serial killer Myra Hindley in 1990.
During her trial, Rose's defence team claimed she had 'known nothing at all' about any of the murders, and to this day she has never admitted to committing the crimes.
Who were Fred and Rose West's victims?
Fred West is known to have committed at least 12 murders – the majority with his second wife, Rose.
All the victims were young women and at least eight of the murders included rape and torture.
Although the pair are suspected to have killed many more, the known victims are as follows:
- Anna McFall, 18, killed in July 1967 by Fred, who hadn't yet met Rose at the time. Discovered June 1994 at Fingerpost Field near Much Marcle. McFall was the nanny to the children of West and his first wife Rena West and was eight months pregnant at the time of her death.
- Charmaine West , 8, Fred's stepdaughter. Believed to have been killed by Rose in 1971 while Fred was serving a sentence at HMP Leyhill. Buried in the cellar at 25 Midland Road.
- Rena Costello, 27, Fred's first wife, also killed in 1971, buried at Letterbox Field in Much Marcle.
- Lynda Gough , 19, killed April 1973. Buried in 25 Cromwell Street.
- Carol Ann Cooper, 15, killed November 1973. Burried in the cellar at 25 Cromwell Street.
- Lucy Partington, 21, killed December 1973. Last seen at a bus stop in Cheltenham, her body was discovered in the cellar in Cromwell Street in 1994.
- Therese Siegenthaler, 21, abducted in 1974 while hitchhiking. Buried under an extension built by Fred at 25 Cromwell Street.
- Shirley Hubbard, 15, abducted from a bus stop in Droitwich in November 1974. Dismembered remains were found in the cellar in Cromwell Street.
- Juanita Mott , 18, a former lodger at Cromwell Street. She was last seen in April 1975. Her body was found buried at Cromwell Street.
- Shirley Robinson, 18, a former lodger who was eight months pregnant with Fred's child. She was killed in May 1978.
- Alison Chambers, 16, living in care in Gloucester. She was last seen in the summer of 1979, her body was buried in the Cromwell Street garden.
- Heather West, 16, the eldest daughter of Fred and Rose. A pupil at Oxstalls School at the time of her death in June 1987. Her dismembered body was found buried in the garden at Cromwell Street. Her brother Stephen claims their father asked him to help dig the hole she was buried in.
Police say their search at The Clean Plate cafe in Gloucester in May 2021 is linked to the disappearance of Mary Bastholm, who was feared a victim of Fred.
Mary was 15 when she was reported missing on January 6, 1968, but her body was never found.
Fred confessed to police he had killed her but gave no further information.
Share your views in the comments below.
Sign Up for News Updates
Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Not convinced? Find out more »
- Evil serial killer Rose West, 67, gets life-saving Covid jab in prison before millions of Brits
- Where Rose West is now - name change, cake bar obesity and Myra Hindley 'love affair'
- Dancing On Ice 2021: Serial killer Rose West is a huge fan of this year’s cursed series
- Serial killer Rose West latest notorious prisoner 'to get Coronavirus jab'
- Killer Rose West 'is big fan of Dancing on Ice' and has friend cast vote each week
- We cannot think of a woman less deserving of a Covid vaccine than monster Rose West
- California mother of brutally beaten murder victim slams left-wing DA Gascon as 'pro-criminal'
- Police 3D-printed a murder victim's finger to unlock his phone
- ‘Rose and Fred West’s daughter Heather saved my life after I heard her being raped night after night’ says teen lodger
- DA Files Murder Charges Against Suspected Drunk Driver In Fatal West Sacramento Crash
- Yorkshire Ripper victims' families demand inheritance share as ex-wife says 'no comment'
- Moreno Valley Man Accused Of Trying To Bury Wife Alive At San Diego Beach
- Bond Denied For DeKalb Man Charged With Attempted Murder Of Man Sitting In Car During Dinner Break
- 2 Teens Arrested For Murder Of Delivery Driver Timothy Allen In Dallas
- Suspected DUI Driver Arrested After Head-On Crash Kills Couple In West Sacramento
- Son charged with murdering his father 'sent texts from his phone to convince relatives he was alive' - before spending $5,000 on dad's credit card to buy bleach and plastic trash cans
- Sarah Everard: Mother-in-law defends police officer arrested on suspicion of murder
- Brothel owner successfully appeals against death sentence for murdering pimp
- Who Was Fred Hampton, the Black Panther Shot and Killed in His Bed by Chicago Police 48 Years Ago?
- Sarah Everard: Bus CCTV 'led to murder arrest' of cop Wayne Couzens 75 miles away
Are Fred and Rose West still alive and who were their murder victims? have 1085 words, post on metro.co.uk at May 12, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.