THE cinematic adaptation of the iconic Mortal Kombat game series was released on Friday April 23, 2021.
The gory action flick, shot by Simon McQuoid in his directorial debut aims to reboot the original film series and breathe new life into the classic characters. Two standout characters making their return are sworn enemies, Sub Zero and Scorpion, but why are the two rivals?
Why are Sub-Zero and Scorpion enemies?
Sub-Zero and Scorpion became rivals through deception.
Bi-Han, more commonly known by his alter ego, Sub-Zero, was an assassin who descended from a cryomancer race (A race of people who can manipulate water and ice) from Outworld, but born in Earth realm participated in the Mortal Kombat tournament that took place during the original MK game (1992).
Scorpion, who uses fire, and Sub-Zero, a master of ice, are sworn enemies.
During the original Mortal Kombat game, sorcerer Quan Chi is attempting to gain control of a magical amulet and hires two rival groups of assassins: The Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu.
Sub-Zero, who represented the former, chose to kill Scorpion, who was of the latter group, in a fight over a map to the amulet so as to end any chance of competing in the future.
How did the rivalry between Sub-Zero and Scorpion start?
Mortal Kombat co-creator, John Tobias admitted that the rivalry between the two was actually planned from the start.
The feud began due to the two characters belonging to sparring clans.
Sub Zero belonged to the Lin Kuei clan and Scorpion (real name Hanzo Hasashi) pledged himself to the Shirai Ryu clan.
Most read in Film
The tragic true story of Hagrid's dog Fang – who was abandoned by cruel owner
The two were natural rivals in the franchise's universe before they even actually met.
However, their rivalry wouldn't properly begin until the sorcerer Quan Chi commissioned the Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu clans to help him find an ancient artifact that he planned to use to resurrect his master, Shinnok.
The clans sent Sub-Zero and Scorpion as their respective representatives on this task.
Sub-Zero and Scorpion met while trying to complete their assignments and decided to battle.
Most read in Film
- Brave surfers battle sub-zero temperatures and KILLER WHALES in Unstad Bay’s Lofoten Masters competition, in northern Norway
- Mum accused of leaving son, two, in car for SEVEN HOURS overnight to ‘freeze to death’ in sub-zero temperatures
- Brit heroes left in sub-zero barracks after boiler packed up eight months ago and bosses ‘can’t afford to fix it’
- Met Eireann forecasts ‘bitterly cold’ conditions as snow and sub-zero temperatures are set to hit this week
- Miserable weather heading our way as Met Eireann forecasts heavy rain and sub zero temperatures for weekend
- Three-year-old boy freezes to death after wandering out of his house in the middle of the night during sub-zero weather
- Europe shivers under sub-zero temperatures
- Swiss rates go sub-zero as flight capital seeks safe haven
- Skiers are stranded for more than three hours in sub-zero temperatures in Slovakia after their chair lift breaks down
- Big chill is back as Met Eireann say temperatures will drop to sub zero this week
Why are Sub-Zero and Scorpion enemies? have 651 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.