The RAF used bombs and missiles to clear an IS stronghold in Iraq as part of a 10-day operation, the Ministry of Defence has said.
They used three Typhoon FGR4s, Storm Shadow missiles and Paveway IV bombs for the attack, which surveillance later confirmed had been a success.
The area was checked beforehand to check no civilians would be put at risk, the MoD said in a statement.
Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said: “The British Armed Forces, alongside our Iraqi and coalition partners, continue to root out Daesh (IS) terrorists from where they hide.
“The UK is committed to defeating Daesh.
“This operation will prevent the terrorist group and its toxic ideology from regaining a foothold in Iraq and reduce its capability to coordinate attacks around the world.”
More on Iraq
- Islamic State: RAF ‘eliminates’ insurgents fighting Iraqi forces near Mosul, MoD says
- ‘Dambusters’ squadron to join fight against Islamic State in Iraq and Syria
- Iraq: Fire kills 82 patients at Baghdad hospital treating COVID patients after oxygen tank exploded
- ‘Gentle steps forward’ in restoring Mosul’s Commonwealth war cemetery
- Pope in Iraq: The pontiff’s symbolic visit amid the rubble came with a message of peace and hope
- ‘Iraq will always remain with me, in my heart’: Pope’s message to packed Erbil stadium
In a separate operation last Sunday, an RAF Reaper armed with Hellfire missiles completed a successful strike on a small IS camp in northern Syria 50 miles west of Al Hasakah.
The MoD says that while IS has been “territorially defeated”, about 100,000 IS terrorists are still at large in Syria and Iraq.
“The UK, together with 81 partner nations of the Global Coalition, therefore remains committed to working with Iraq to not only defeat Daesh but to also enhance security in the region,” the MoD statement added.
- Chinese missiles threaten American bases on its doorstep
- Stann’s Memorial Day brings haunting stories
- NFL was ready to use backup power
- Judge OKs London rooftop missiles
- From Army-Navy to Iraq and Afghanistan
- Cops: Bombs packed with metal, nails
- Report: Pieces of bombs found
- UK police smuggle fake bomb onto Olympic site
- Pittsburgh Marathon affected by bomb scare
- 11 for ’11: Romo’s improv bomb to Witten
- Daytona 500 runs on schedule, day after fans hurt
- Mercury uses first draft pick on Griner
- Missing Tiger on opening day of the US Open
- Barry Bonds gets 30-day home sentence – at worst
- NBA Rumors & Draft News, Day 4
- Berkman undergoes surgery; expected out 8-10 weeks
- Berba late show for 10-man United
- VP hopeful makes football game day stop in Ohio
- Athletics 5, Angels 4(10)
- Experts: IRA dissidents could crash Olympics party
RAF uses missiles and bombs to clear IS stronghold in Iraq as part of 10-day operation have 443 words, post on news.sky.com at April 8, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.