The RAF used bombs and missiles to clear an IS stronghold in Iraq as part of a 10-day operation, the Ministry of Defence has said. UK airmen worked in conjunction with Iraqi Security Forces ground troops to oust IS from the Makhmur mountain region of Iraq , southwest of Erbil. They used three Typhoon FGR4s, Storm Shadow missiles and Paveway IV bombs for the attack, which surveillance later confirmed had been a success. The area was checked beforehand to check no civilians would be put at risk, the MoD said in a statement. Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said: “The British Armed Forces, alongside our Iraqi and coalition partners, continue to root out Daesh (IS) terrorists from where they hide. Advertisement “The UK is committed to defeating Daesh. “This operation will prevent the terrorist group and its toxic ideology from regaining a foothold in Iraq and reduce its capability to coordinate attacks around the world.” More from Iraq Pope in Iraq: The pontiff’s symbolic visit amid the rubble came with a message of peace and hope ‘Iraq will always remain with me, in my heart’: Pope’s message to packed Erbil stadium Pope Francis’s historic visit has given Iraqis hope of more… Read full this story
- How to Get iOS 10 Right Now
- Windows 10 S locks default to Edge and Bing. What's Microsoft teaching us?
- Revealed: The 'New IRA' car bomb 'intended to kill police' as up to 80 officers raided Londonderry homes under barrage of Molotov cocktails
- Obama threatens Syria with U.S. military action if Assad regime crosses 'RED LINE' by using chemical weapons
- Jihadis' VJ Day plot to bomb the Queen: Police and MI5 in race against time to foil 'spectacular' Boston Marathon copycat IED attack next Saturday
- A Shiite Holiday Turns Into a Test of Iranian Power in Iraq
- Will Smith puts on brave face as he promotes Gemini Man in Taipei after sci-fi actioner bombs at box office
- Microsoft Attempts to Assuage Windows 10 Privacy Concerns
- New Windows 10 bug is so bad it’s breaking computers, but there's a fix to revive your PC
- RAF reveals F-35 jets have 22,000lbs of firepower - ‘We wouldn't mess with it either’
RAF uses missiles and bombs to clear IS stronghold in Iraq as part of 10-day operation have 354 words, post on news.sky.com at April 8, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.