With a mighty crack and a cloud of smoke the first shot fired across the river in front of a historic palace and beside an iconic symbol of Britain. On the stroke of noon at the Tower of London a battery manned by the Honourable Artillery Company began a solemn Death Gun Salute to mark the passing of a Prince. And for the next 40 minutes shots rang out across the UK and the Commonwealth as serving military personnel paid their tribute to a wartime hero. Crowds had lined the Tower of London to watch this salute to the Duke of Edinburgh while many others flocked to lay tributes at royal palaces. But as they honoured his extraordinary life of service their thoughts, and prayers, were with his widow. For while Britain has lost a national icon, Queen Elizabeth has lost her tower of strength, and her grief must be immeasurable. Yet still her first concern was for her people. Just hours after losing Philip the Queen urged mourners to stay at home, mindful of the pandemic still claiming so many lives. But yesterday thousands of subjects respectfully ignored their Monarch's wishes, to show their love and repay her own… Read full this story
- Celebrating Our Armed Forces in the Digital Marketing Community
- Our armed forces should not get FIRs for doing their duty to their country
- For Gold Star families, the ultimate sacrifice comes heavily taxed
- Brianna Keilar: For Gold Star families, the ultimate sacrifice comes heavily taxed
- Dems Deny Trump the Same Respect He Gave Obama After Bin Laden Kill
- Who Legalized Arming Black Men to Kill Confederates?
- Reporters Uncover ‘Real Story’ Behind Chicago’s Gun-Death Stats, Black Flight From the City
- Saudi prince joins pantheon of incendiary Arab rulers’ sons
- The prince of the people: Machiavelli was no ‘Machiavellian’ – Catherine Zuckert
- 7 Black Fox Employees to Join Bias Suit, Alleging ‘Arm Wrestling for Whites’ Amusement’
'Prince Philip represented sacrifice, duty and respect as Armed Forces mark his death' have 311 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at April 10, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.