Prince Edward: Experts discuss decision to join Royal Marines
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Prince Edward became involved into “an argument” with Prince Philip over his military career, according to royal commentators. The young Earl of Wessex started Royal Marine training in 1986 as military service is typically expected of high-ranking men in the Royal Family. The List narrator Christine-Marie Liwag Dixon gave insight into how this developed.
She told viewers: “It would seem that Prince Edward, unlike his big brothers, did not like military life and all it entailed.
“Believe it or not, Prince Edward resigned from the Marines, allegedly after an argument with his father, to build a career in theater.
“He ended up working with none other than Andrew Lloyd Webber.
“The prince took a role as a production assistant at Really Useful Group, which was owned by Webber, during his foray into musical theater.”
Prince Edward in fiery clash with Prince Philip over break from Royal Family tradition (Image: GETTY)
The young Earl of Wessex started Royal Marine training in 1986. (Image: CHANNEL 5)
Ms Liwag Dixon continued: “Edward had reportedly connected with Webber after working with him on a production for the Queen’s birthday celebrations.
“But as a production assistant with the company, he wasn’t exactly seeing his name up in lights.
“In 1988, company director Bridget Hayward told the Los Angeles Times, ‘It is the very lowest rung’.”
After working for Really Useful Group for a few years, Prince Edward joined another theater troupe, Theatre Division.
Ms Liwag Dixon said: ‘Edward resigned from the Marines, allegedly after an argument with his father’ (Image: GETTY)
Ms Liwag Dixon said: ‘He ended up working with none other than Andrew Lloyd Webber.’ (Image: GETTY)
Prince Philip: Jennie Bond reveals advice given to Prince Edward
This job was short-lived, and the company reportedly shut down the next year due to unsustainable debts.
The decision to train for the Royal Marines may have been influenced by his father, who was Captain-General at the time.
Daily Mail Editor-at-Large Richard Kay told Channel 5: “There was no greater contrast, I would venture, than being a History graduate from Cambridge than joining the grunts down in Lympstone in Devon.”
DON’T MISS Prince Harry left feeling ‘like an outsider’ after royals ‘bonded’ [INSIGHT] ‘You’re lucky!’ Meghan Markle gets stern advice from Luxembourg royal [VIDEO] Meghan’s ‘obvious distance’ from Kate ‘didn’t please Harry at all’ [ANALYSIS]
ROYAL MEN AND THE MILITARY (Image: EXPRESS)
It quickly became clear that the prince was not cut out for the gruelling life of a Royal Marine.
Royal biographer Ingrid Seward added: “He told me that he just felt that he could never quite be one of the boys.
“He always felt that they looked at him differently.
“I think that made him uncomfortable.”
After only completing one-third of the year-long training course, Edward decided he could not continue.
- JANET STREET-PORTER: It's no wonder people believe the fictional scandal being peddled about the Royal Family's past in The Crown when the truth about them today is even more bizarre
- Kim Kardashian Gives Her Thoughts On Meghan Markle And The Royal Family
- Prince Charles demands crisis summit with Andrew so he can come clean on 'Epstein issue'
- Meghan Markle's Thanksgiving looks - what will the royal wear this year?
- God Save The Queen on old car horns, Chinese acrobats, Edward sawing his nephew in half... RICHARD KAY reveals how Prince Charles's extraordinary 70th birthday was just magic!
- Prince Philip to retire, Buckingham Palace has announced
- Prince Naruhito's enthronement: Japanese groups oppose use of state funds
- Prince Philip to retire from royal duties following ‘unusual’ all-staff meeting
- The Queen is joined by this royal couple in Balmoral during final days of Scottish break
- Prince Philip, 96, admitted to hospital with an infection and will miss Queen's Speech
- ‘Push present’: Meghan Markle reveals new ring at Trooping the Colour parade with Prince Harry
- The royal family attends sombre Remembrance Day services in London
- 'Behave yourselves': Prince Philip jokes with nurses as he leaves hospital after five nights
- Lady Louise Windsor is all grown up during appearance with dad Prince Edward
- ’Humiliating and historic’: Day that will reveal Prince Andrew’s royal fate
- ‘Humiliating and historic’: Day that will reveal Prince Andrew’s royal fate
- Kate Middleton, Prince William and Prince Charles attend Trooping the Colour
- Just like nan and grandad! Prince Harry sips traditional Fijian drink - just like the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh did 65 years ago - after being given roast pig during welcoming ceremony with Meghan
- Why Queen Elizabeth can now ‘never trust’ younger royals
- Prince Charles and Doria Ragland are all smiles after Meghan's royal wedding
Prince Edward in fiery clash with Prince Philip over break from Royal Family tradition have 877 words, post on www.express.co.uk at April 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.