THE pressures of social media have been well documented but Paul Mescal has taken things into his own hands in avoiding online trolls.
I can reveal he has quietly deactivated his Instagram account – which had a whopping 1.1million followers – even though it could cost him dearly in lost endorsement deals.
A year on from his rise to fame in BBC drama Normal People , he has told pals he feared he was getting sucked into the positive and negative comments on his Insta.
He believes by avoiding the app it will also help him keep his feet on the ground.
A source close to the actor said: " Paul deactivated his Instagram account because it just became a drain.
“He felt like he was wasting time on there, reading the comments is no good for anyone's mental health.
"There are more important things going on in his life and he wants to focus his energy into his personal life and his work, he doesn't need social media for that.
“He's a private guy and doesn't feel the need to share everything online.
"But Paul knows it does mean he won't be able to cash in on lucrative offers for massive brand tie-ins.
“He could have easily commanded six-figure sums for posts on his Instagram account endorsing products, but he just doesn't feel it is worthwhile at this point.
"He might reactivate his page in the future but he's enjoying his time away from it."
Paul admitted he needed to "step away" from social media during a chat in December.
He said: "As time has gone by this year I've learned a lot in terms of needing to step away from those things.
"Nobody's going to remember your Instagram following. It's not going to be written on your tombstone.
"It's about what the kind of real legacy you want to leave behind is."
Fitness queen GC
The GC started exercising in the third lockdown and reckons she's already such a pro that she is launching her own health and fitness app to share her secrets.
Gemma has lost three stone and is planning to start the subscription service in the coming months.
A source said: "Gemma is launching a fitness empire and she is hoping to dominate the market.
"She has surrounded herself with personal trainers and dieticians and is using their know-how to create an all-inclusive app.
"The idea is it would be an affordable subscription which will allow users to follow the same routine as Gemma.
"It would include diet and training plans and a well-being section which would focus on mental health."
While some people find Gemma a little ridiculous, her huge popularity means everything she touches turns to gold.
Given celebrity fitness DVDs are a thing of the past, I suppose this is the next best thing.
Charlotte’s having a ball
CHARLOTTE Jane has today released her Refuge EP, as well as a video for the title track in which she sprints through woods in a pink tulle dress.
She said: "I wanted to make a statement about being fierce, feminine, strong, beautiful and emotional all at once by attacking whatever was in my path while wearing the biggest, fluffiest ball gown I could find."
All over for JLo and ARod
JENNIFER Lopez and Alex "ARod" Rodriguez have confirmed their split .
The story started that they had broken up last month and despite insisting they were working on their issues, they have now confirmed they have gone their separate ways after four years.
In a joint statement, they said: "We have realised we are better as friends and look forward to remaining so.
“We will continue to work together and support each other on our shared businesses and projects.
"We wish the best for each other and each other's children."
The former couple had planned to tie the knot last year – which would have been J Lo's fourth wedding – but it had been postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Madge has the X Factor
WHEN Madonna was on her Madame X tour at the beginning of last year, she was not well at all due to suffering from crippling knee and hip injuries.
But what a difference a year makes – in this photo she could easily be mistaken for a pop star half her age.
The superstar, 62, posed for a playful photoshoot in a Gucci outfit and fishnet tights at her home in Los Angeles before going to a screening of her upcoming documentary film, all about her last tour.
She wrote on Instagram: "Screened Madame X in a 500 seat theatre!! Only 12 people were there but it was so GREAT to see it on a big screen!
"Can't wait to show it to the world!!! Thank you to everyone who worked so hard these last 7 months on post. (and we still aren't finished) but I see light at the end of the tunnel."
There's just no slowing her down.
Rebel without her claws
CONTESTANTS having a ruff day on the new series of Pooch Perfect in the US should avoid judge Rebel Wilson .
She looked right at home dressed as puppy-killing Disney villain Cruella de Vil during filming.
The Aussie actress hosted the first ever series of Pooch Perfect when it aired Down Under last year.
She should get on the dog and bone to Sheridan Smith and join the UK version.
HEADIE One and Arlo Parks have been announced as performers for next month's Brit Awards, joining Dua Lipa and Griff on the line-up.
The home-grown stars will take to the stage at London's O2 Arena on May 11, with the show broadcast live on ITV.
Most read in Bizarre
Phoebe Dynevor & Pete Davidson wear matching necklaces in ‘romantic gesture’
Arlo has three nominations for gongs, Breakthrough Artist, British Female Solo Artist and British Album of the Year for her debut record Collapsed in Sunbeams.
Rapper Headie One, from Tottenham, North London – who will be performing live for the first time in 18 months – is up for British Male Solo Artist and British Single, thanks to his AJ Tracey and Stormzy collaboration Ain't It Different.
Asked how she will celebrate on the night if she wins, Arlo said: "I'll probably have a bit of red wine and grin uncontrollably. Then probably go and hug mum and dad."
Normal People star Paul Mescal soars as he shows off impressive dance skills
- Meet LA's 'power players': Tatler reveals the high-profile people you NEED to know to get invited to the city's 'most illustrious parties' - from the Hiltons to Balthazar Getty
- Jillian Michaels slammed for comments about Lizzo's weight
- The secret life of a tax adviser: it’s not about devising fancy avoidance schemes
- It's a #masterpiece! What if Gauguin and Monet had been on Instagram?
- 6 Beauty Products You Should Avoid During The Winter Season
- Are You Judgmental of Lonely People?
- My New Year's resolution? A divorce! Mothers who quit unhappy marriages in January reveal how Christmas drove them to leave their husbands - and one claims she's a better parent as a result
- NBC Boss Paul Telegdy on ‘America’s Got Talent’ Probe, ‘SNL’ Shane Gillis Firing
- Who’s to Blame for the Trumpcare Debacle, Donald Trump or Paul Ryan?
- Manchester United in Full Support of Paul Pogba Operation: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
- San Francisco’s ‘Beach Blanket Babylon’ gets a heartfelt goodbye
- Paul Dano: 'I like the idea of consequence'
- Why does Meghan get all the blame?
- Elon Musk's girlfriend Grimes, 31, posts ANOTHER baby bump photo to Instagram after declaring herself 'knocked up'
- Paul Hollywood's estranged wife Alex claims she 'won't even consider' a new romance as she wants to 'take time' for herself following their split
- New Year Honours list in full: All the people rewarded in 2020 for services to UK
- YouTuber Jake Paul says he 'fell out of love' with his wife Tana Mongeau after just SIX MONTHS of marriage - as the pair call it quits following their shotgun wedding in Las Vegas
- Bankrupt ex-Geordie Shore star Scotty T is SLAMMED for encouraging fans to quit their jobs and earn money from GAMBLING
- Angry Bambi: Tourists teasing deer for Instagram selfies attacked in record numbers in Japan
- Follow These Expert Tips To Get Your Diet Right
Normal People’s Paul Mescal quits Instagram to avoid ‘getting sucked into comments’ have 1549 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.