Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert team has explained the cheapest day to buy your car insurance – and it could save you hundreds of pounds.
Comparing prices exactly 23 days before your current policy runs out could see you cut your price in half.
MSE analysed more than 70 million quotes from comparison sites to find this optimum time.
Of course, the amount you could save does depend on your individual circumstances and if you have made any claims in the last year.
Money Saving Expert also noted how it is also still similarly cheap a few days either side of this 23-day mark.
But leaving it to the last minute could end up costing you hundreds of pounds more, as MSE says insurers are more likely to view you as higher risk.
The research from Money Saving Expert – which was published in its weekly newsletter – is based on comparison prices, rather than quotes from your existing insurance provider.
Have you made a big saving on your car insurance? Let us know: [email protected]
The MSE team said: “We’ve told you this for years, so it might not sound like a secret, but we still class it that way as millions DON’T do it.
“But getting quotes at the last minute before renewal means you’re actually deemed a higher risk – insurers say such drivers are statistically more likely to claim, so they often pay £100s more.
“If you’ve less time, hurry, as prices tend to rise the closer you get to renewal.”
Car insurance is one of the biggest outgoings for drivers, so it is always worth comparing prices when your renewal date is approaching.
Use sites like Compare the Market and Go Compare to find the cheapest prices.
It comes as car insurance firms have saved billions in the past 12 months as people stayed home, cancelled trips and stopped commuting.
But some providers are offering refunds or reduced rates to reflect fewer people driving.
In more car news, Halfords is giving away MOTs worth £40 with any purchase in stores.
There is no minimum spend, meaning you could buy a 10 litre bucket for £1 and qualify for a free MOT.
Sign up to Mirror Money’s newsletter for the latest advice and news
From universal credit to furlough, employment rights, travel updates and emergency financial aid – we’ve got all of the big financial stories you need to know about right now.
Sign up to our Mirror Money newsletter here .
- Martin Lewis warns borrowers have just 10 days left to apply for payment holiday on mortgage, credit card and loans
- Martin Lewis explains how to find massive Amazon discounts on a hidden bit of the site
- Martin Lewis warns savers worried about negative interest rates to lock into fixed rates
- Martin Lewis brands Green Homes voucher scheme ‘a flop’ as only 1 in 6 homes able to find installers
- Fake Martin Lewis Facebook and WhatsApp scam warning which could steal your personal details
- Martin Lewis explains how to double your broadband speed for half the price
- Martin Lewis explains how to get 'free cash' as banks bring back the bribes
- Martin Lewis explains how to get up to £125 free from banks in time for Christmas
- Martin Lewis reveals how you can claim cash back on guarantor loans and save you thousands
- Martin Lewis issues gift card warning ahead of Christmas and Black Friday
Martin Lewis’ Money Saving Expert explains the cheapest day to buy your car insurance have 556 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at April 14, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.