“Philly’s not feeling good. We might as well break the news, he’s got the COVID,” Little Big Town band member Jimi Westbrook said
Little Big Town will be without a member at the ACM Awards on Sunday.
The band announced that Phillip Sweet was diagnosed with COVID recently during an interview on Audacy . “Well, Philly’s not feeling good. We might as well break the news, he’s got the COVID,” said Jimi Westbrook. “He seems to be holding off the really bad stuff, just a little not feeling great.”
Lead singer Karen Fairchild added, “Over the hump today, he’s hoping. … He is, unfortunately, so sad and missing out on this whole ACM week. But he’ll be back soon.”
Little Big Town, who is nominated for group of the year, is set to perform their latest “Wine, Beer, Whiskey” on Broadway during the 2021 ACM Awards broadcast.
Joking about who will replace Sweet, 47, for the show, Westbrook said, “We auditioned about 50 people, it’s a trio,” as Kimberly Schlapman quipped about bringing in Sweet’s “gazillionaire” lookalike Richard Branson.
During the interview, Fairchild also shared who she will be wearing for the awards show. “I’m wearing Stella McCartney,” she said. “We have two fabulous dresses for Kimberly and it’s really a toss-up. She’s got to wear both of them eventually. But I think she’s wearing Carolina Herrera. But we might flip a coin, we’ll see. Sometimes in the moment, we just go, ‘We should do this.’ ”
And Schlapman joked, “And sometimes in the moment we go, ‘You shouldn’t have had that last biscuit. You’re gonna have to wear this dress.’ You know how that is.”
Want to get the biggest stories from PEOPLE every weekday? Subscribe to our new podcast , PEOPLE Every Day, to get the essential celebrity, entertainment and human interest news stories Monday through Friday.
Leading the list of nominees this year are Maren Morris and Chris Stapleton with six each. Trailing closely behind is Lambert with five nominations, while Ashley McBryde and Thomas Rhett earned four nods each.
Also for the first time, every nominated song for single of the year features a woman (Lambert, Morris, Gabby Barrett, Carly Pearce and Ingrid Andress).
Performances will be taking place across various Nashville venues, including the Grand Ole Opry House, Ryman Auditorium, The Bluebird Cafe, Station Inn, Bridge Building and on Broadway.
The 2021 ACM Awards will air live on April 18 from 8 p.m. ET on CBS and Paramount+.
As information about the coronavirus pandemic rapidly changes, PEOPLE is committed to providing the most recent data in our coverage. Some of the information in this story may have changed after publication. For the latest on COVID-19, readers are encouraged to use online resources from the CDC , WHO and local public health departments . PEOPLE has partnered with GoFundMe to raise money for the COVID-19 Relief Fund, a GoFundMe.org fundraiser to support everything from frontline responders to families in need, as well as organizations helping communities. For more information or to donate, click here .
- CMT Music Awards: Fans call Tanya Tucker’s ‘Delta Dawn’ medley 'performance of the night'
- Ciara shows plenty of cleavage as she's joined by four-year-old son Future Zahir Wilburn on the 2019 Billboard Music Awards red carpet
- Readers' Choice Awards 2010
- An Olympic-size pool and 50ft steel oryx statues: Inside the Doha hotel that makes a BIG impression (and high-flyers can reach it in the world's best business class cabin)
- Laura Dern oozes old Hollywood glamour in low-cut white dress and red lipstick as she is named Town & Country's Woman Of The Year
- NBA Preview 2019: Rankings, projections and big questions for all 30 teams
- Billboard Awards 2019: Kiernan Shipka teases fans with flirty frock as she graces the red carpet
- Lowe's wild NBA predictions: Giannis' big decision, trades to watch for
- Big ones to get bigger and private banks to be biggest multipliers next year: Sunil Subramaniam, Sundaram MF
- Positive Deviant
- Apple's iPhone event plus Buzz Out Loud: Join us Tuesday (live blog)
- LA rivalry, Zion Williamson and China disputes - the big talking points before new NBA season
- Edited Transcript of VCYT earnings conference call or presentation 22-Oct-19 9:00pm GMT
- Fastest Mobile Networks 2015
- The 28-hour Marvel Marathon nearly cost our writer his sanity
- Chris Stapleton welcomes baby No. 5 with wife Morgane on Mother's Day
- Cisco’s Quick Study
- 'I'd rather be in Blackpool than Bondi - stories behind Great Britain's 2006 tour
- Government launches review into food served in NHS hospitals in the wake of listeria deaths linked to pre-packaged sandwiches - and Great British Bake Off’s Prue Leith will act as an advisor
- Edited Transcript of KPN.AS earnings conference call or presentation 25-Oct-19 11:00am GMT
Little Big Town's Phillip Sweet Tests Positive for COVID, Will Not Join Band at 2021 ACM Awards have 809 words, post on people.com at April 15, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.