European Council President Charles Michel has said he is not sleeping well at night because he feels embarrassed about a seating arrangement incident at a meeting this week. The incident happened when Mr Michel took the only chair available next to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan at a meeting in Ankara. When the president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen , came to be seated too, she became perplexed and raised a hand in disbelief. She ended up being relegated to a sofa further away from her counterparts and opposite Turkey’s foreign minister, who is lower than her in the pecking order. Talking about the incident with German newspaper Handelsblatt, Mr Michel said he would go back and fix the issue if he could. Advertisement “I make no secret of the fact that I haven’t slept well at night since because the scenes keep replaying in my head,” he said. More from Charles Michel Ursula von der Leyen snubbed in awkward chair situation at meeting with Turkish president Brexit: PM ‘disappointed’ at lack of progress in Brexit talks Belgium PM Charles Michel treated after Princess Astrid fires starting gun next to him In an earlier interview with Belgian… Read full this story
- The Latest: EU’s Tusk “unconvinced” about UK Brexit proposal
- Behind the president’s struggles with impeachment
- May restarts Brexit talks with Labour after calls for 'compromise'
- PM is forced to gear up for poll as long Brexit delay looks inevitable
- Edited Transcript of AIMT earnings conference call or presentation 8-Aug-19 8:30pm GMT
- How China, Brexit, and the US derailed global 5G Wireless
- Israeli ground forces close in on Gaza population centers
- FULL TEXT: Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Balloon Hoax,' published 1844 in The New York Sun
- Russia needs a wakeup call
- Major candidates in Haiti call Sunday's election a fraud, call on supporters to demonstrate
EU seating gaffe: European Council President Charles Michel 'hasn't slept well' after seating arrangement incident have 302 words, post on news.sky.com at April 10, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.