Coronavirus was not the main cause of deaths in England and Wales in March – the first time for four months, new figures show. The leading cause of deaths was dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in England, accounting for 10.1% of all fatalities registered that month, according to the data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS). Live COVID updates from across the UK and around the world In Wales, ischaemic heart disease was the leading cause of deaths, accounting for 11.8% of all fatalities. The data shows COVID-19 was the third leading cause of death in both countries that month, accounting for 9.2% of all fatalities registered in England and 6.3% in Wales. Advertisement The virus was the leading cause of death each month from November to February. The latest figures come at a time of concern over new COVID-19 variants. More from Covid COVID news live: Latest as vaccination rates where you live revealed and Wales and Lake District top UK staycations list COVID-19: Largest jump in businesses facing ‘significant financial distress’ since 2014 COVID-19: India sets record for new coronavirus cases in a single day COVID-19: UK reports another 33 coronavirus deaths and 2,524 new cases – as 33 million… Read full this story
- Britain records nearly 4,000 new Covid-19 cases in highest daily total since MAY - but lack of testing at peak of crisis means resurgence of the disease is likely nowhere near levels seen during first wave in March and April
- Tesco shopper is charged with criminal damage and breaching coronavirus regulations after tearing away plastic sheets covering 'non-essential' items in Welsh supermarkets
- Britain could be worst coronavirus-hit nation in Europe with 66,000 deaths in the first wave of the outbreak – three times Italy’s expected toll - because of the NHS's shortage of hospital beds and intensive care capacity, warn scientists
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year from Nobby Stiles to Sean Connery
- At last! NHS workers are 'set to get a vaccine in weeks' as the Government accelerates timetable for a mass roll-out before Christmas - while ministers introduce new laws to bypass EU approval for jab
COVID-19: Coronavirus no longer the main cause of deaths in England and Wales, figures show have 341 words, post on news.sky.com at April 22, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.