More than 4,000 COVID deaths have been recorded in a single day in Brazil, with one doctor comparing the country’s crisis to a “biological Fukushima”. The outbreak is overwhelming hospitals in the South American nation – and scientists are forecasting that the surge in fatalities will soon surpass the worst of a record January wave in the US. Even though Brazil’s population is two-thirds that of America’s, the country’s overall death tolls from COVID-19 now stands at 337,000 – second only to the US on 555,000. While the US focuses on rolling out vaccines, the more contagious Manaus variant of the disease and a lack of lockdown restrictions has left Brazil’s outbreak to spiral out of control. A total of 86,979 new cases were reported in Brazil yesterday, alongside 4,195 fatalities. Advertisement Health officials claim the large figures are the result of reporting delays over the Easter weekend. But Brazil has continued to break new records for daily COVID deaths every week since late February. More from Brazil Brazil’s three military chiefs all quit after President Bolsonaro carries out cabinet reshuffle COVID-19: Brazil records more than 2,000 daily deaths for first time as infections soar and hospitals ‘reach the limit’… Read full this story
- Death of the goofball pitcher
- Edited Transcript of BNZL.L earnings conference call or presentation 27-Aug-19 8:30am GMT
- DEATH SENTENCE
- Edited Transcript of FOLD earnings conference call or presentation 8-Aug-19 12:30pm GMT
- Hospital closures cause spillover in remaining birth wards
- Edited Transcript of AIMT earnings conference call or presentation 8-Aug-19 8:30pm GMT
- Obama's the new comeback kid: Post-election, he's made a record-setting sprint to the center
- EXCLUSIVE: Manhattan homeless shelter overseen by Cuomo's sister cited for repeated safety issues culminating in infant's death
- Summer's Hot 100: What to hear, see and do in NYC
- Delays at local VA worse than U.S.
COVID-19: 'A biological Fukushima' - Hospitals overwhelmed as Brazil records 4,195 COVID deaths in a single day have 294 words, post on news.sky.com at April 7, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.