Transport secretary Grant Shapps appeared to confirm in a recent interview that England’s NHS app would be used as a vaccine passport.
Travel restrictions are due to ease on 17 May, after which foreign travel can resume.
However a government source told the BBC the app would not be ready “imminently”.
It is connected to GP services in England and linked to personal health data.
People can use the NHS app to request repeat prescriptions, message their doctor and organise online consultations. It is completely separate from the NHS Covid-19 app, which is used for contact-tracing.
The NHS app is already able to display vaccine statuses, including Covid-19 jabs – but this must be enabled by GPs, and while some seem to do this by default, other surgeries ask patients to request it.
Vaccines Minister Nadhim Zahawi told BBC Breakfast that work was under way on preparing it to act as a passport – this could involve it having access to not only vaccine status, but also to most recent test results.
“NHSx [the NHS’s digital division]…are working on making that operationally possible for the 17th of May,” he said.
But in a statement, the Department of Health and Social Care said only that the app was “being considered as part of the digital route”.
It might seem that the NHS app, used by a million or so people since 2019 to book GP appointments or order prescriptions, has fortuitously given the government an instant solution to creating a vaccine passport.
Not so fast – there are a number of hurdles to be cleared.
While the app can record your vaccinations, that isn’t automatic – I’ve searched in vain to find the record of my Covid jab, only to get a message saying I need to ask my GP for access to my detailed health record. If the NHS app does become a vaccine passport, millions of people will be bombarding GPs with similar requests.
But the government has made it clear it wants a broader process of Covid certification, including recent test results, otherwise young people who hadn’t been vaccinated wouldn’t be able to travel. Integrating tests into the app promises to be complex.
Finally, there’s the process of transforming the NHS app into something that will be easy to use and trusted by border police around the world.
“If people think they’ll just be able to flash the existing app with their vaccine record at passport control, that isn’t going to happen,” one insider told me.
Getting everything ready by 17 May looks like a major bureaucratic challenge, even if the technology can be updated quickly and efficiently.
A number of countries and organisations have proposed their own vaccine passport arrangements:
- European officials have announced plans for an EU-wide “Green Digital Certificate” . This would allow anyone vaccinated against Covid, or who has tested negative, or recently recovered from the virus, to travel within the region.
- New York has launched a digital-wallet style Covid-19 passport called the Excelsior Pass . The White House however has ruled out a compulsory federal passport .
- The International Air Transport Association (IATA) has launched its own app, the IATA Travel Pass which it trialled with Singapore Airlines
- UK-based independent healthcare app My GP launched a simple vaccine certification feature last week, in the form of a green tick for users 12 days after their second dose of the vaccine.
In the UK, government minister Michael Gove provided a written statement to parliament today, following a trip to Israel to learn about the country’s Green Pass system.
He emphasised that there were no plans to make vaccine certification compulsory in certain domestic settings, including essential public services and shops, and on public transport, but did not focus on international travel
- Tricky smartphone games 'are BETTER than mindfulness apps' for reducing stress after a hard day's work because they distract you from real life
- Too few counsellors on campus: why students are turning to mental health apps
- China releases tracking app to let citizens find out if they have been near anyone exposed to coronavirus
- 'It looks like something Bear Grylls would keep in his backpack': NHS hospital is mocked for its makeshift coronavirus isolation pod – a tent next to a row of bins in the A&E car park
- Could beards be BANNED in the NHS? Hospital tells staff to shave or stick to a pencil-type moustache in bid to stop coronavirus outbreak because facial hair 'can render masks useless'
- 'We are already working to our absolute limit': 99.5% of doctors say the NHS is NOT prepared for a coronavirus outbreak and fear the health service 'simply won't cope'
- Thousands of intensive care patients will be tested for coronavirus over fears it's already spreading through the NHS as hospitals are told to see as many patients as possible through VIDEO calls
- NHS 111 call handlers are NOT asking patients with coronavirus symptoms if they have travelled to Asia and are just telling them to go to their GP, doctors warn
- Judge rules State can’t deny passport to person who won’t select male or female as gender
- 'Treating the elderly would be sacrificed if coronavirus overwhelms UK': NHS would prioritise critical care for those most likely to survive rather than most vulnerable patients, senior doctors admit
- I’m an ICU doctor. The NHS isn’t ready for the coronavirus crisis
- NHS chiefs launch public coronavirus campaign telling people to wash their hands for 20 seconds before eating and after using public transport amid fears of epidemic mayhem across UK
- NHS care providers left autistic children at risk of self-harm
- A rarely-used fine could limit the spread of the coronavirus to the United States
- Smartphone app that accurately predicts if pregnant women are at risk of giving birth prematurely could save lives, British inventors say
- B’deshi who got Indian passport illegally with PAN, Aadhaar arrested
- Boris Johnson warns coronavirus is 'likely to spread' further in Britain as he hails NHS staff as UK's 'greatest asset' in face of outbreak on visit to Public Health England infection control HQ
- ‘Smart diet' app that tracks your meals and steps and lets you chat to a nutritionist every day helps slimmers shed a stone in 12 weeks
- NHS prescriptions price will rise AGAIN by 15p to £9.15 from April in hike which campaigners say 'penalises those with long term conditions'
- Coronavirus will kill Brits warns medical chief as two more cases confirmed and NHS declares highest level of emergency
Confusion over use of NHS App as Covid passport have 1116 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at April 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.