Black hole: Scientists discover one of smallest on record
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Astronomers have discovered a tiny black hole relatively near to Earth. It has been dubbed ‘The Unicorn’ and has a mass around three times that of the Sun. The smallest black holes to have previously been discovered are at least six times the mass of the Sun, so the newly found one could fall into a new category.
For a black hole to form, it had been assumed that a star would need to be at least six times that of the Sun when it collapses in on itself, creating a tear in the fabric of spacetime.
The Unicorn opens up a world of possibilities on what other black holes may be out there.
But do not be fooled by its small size – it still has a gravitational pull which can consume anything around it.
The black hole was discovered by researchers at the Ohio State University, which said it was “hiding in plain sight”.
Black hole: Tiny black hole called ‘The Unicorn’ found ‘near’ Earth (Image: OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY)
Astronomers have discovered a tiny black hole relatively near to Earth (Image: GETTY)
It is located 1,500 light-years from Earth in the constellation Monoceros.
The Unicorn has a companion star which is a red giant, “meaning that the two are connected by gravity.”
Experts cannot see the black hole but were able to determine it is there by the way the light from the star changes when it passes behind it.
Researchers from Ohio State University realised something was tugging and changing the shape of the red giant – something known as tidal distortion.
It is located 1,500 light-years from Earth in the constellation Monoceros (Image: GETTY)
Todd Thompson, co-author of the study, chair of Ohio State's astronomy department and university distinguished scholar, said: "Just as the moon's gravity distorts the Earth's oceans, causing the seas to bulge toward and away from the moon, producing high tides, so does the black hole distort the star into a football-like shape with one axis longer than the other.
"The simplest explanation is that it's a black hole – and in this case, the simplest explanation is the most likely one."
Efforts to find extremely low mass black holes have increased in recent years as astronomers hope to unravel the mysteries of the strange entities.
Mr Thompson continued: “I think the field is pushing toward this, to really map out how many low-mass, how many intermediate-mass and how many high-mass black holes there are, because every time you find one it gives you a clue about which stars collapse, which explode and which are in between.”
What is a black hole? (Image: EXPRESS)
Kris Stanek, study co-author, astronomy professor at Ohio State and university distinguished scholar, said: "When you look in a different way, which is what we're doing, you find different things.
“[Lead author Tharindu Jayasinghe, a doctoral student in astronomy at The Ohio State University] looked at this thing that so many other people had looked at and instead of dismissing the possibility that it could be a black hole, he said, 'Well, what if it could be a black hole?'"
Mr Jayasinghe stated: "When we looked at the data, this black hole – the Unicorn – just popped out.”
- First black hole image: Here are five things that we learnt
- Nearly 1,000 mysterious strands of magnetic filaments are discovered dangling 'inexplicably' at the heart of the Milky Way
- Physicists Think They've Spotted a Very Rare Black Hole
- Black hole event horizon: Here is what it looks like
- Ever wondered how many black holes there are? 40,000,000,000,000,000,000 make up 1% of the observable universe, study estimates
- Universe has 40 quintillion black holes, says study that sheds light on their origins
- Astronomers Looking for One Black Hole May Have Found an Entire Squad
- There Are 40,000,000,000,000,000,000+ Black Holes in the Observable Universe, Says New Estimate
- Astrophysicists May Have Found a Rare Species of Black Hole in the Andromeda Galaxy
- NASA discover black hole that gives birth to stars in nearby galaxy
- A black hole is giving birth to stars, Nasa finds
- Never-before-seen black hole discovered in Andromeda galaxy
- Earth's core may be cooling faster than scientists thought
- Demi Lovato gets new piercing alongside HUGE black spider skull tattoo... after emerging from latest rehab stint
- Supermassive black hole seen 'giving birth' to stars in universe-first, study finds
- Keyboardist Don Airey on His Years With Ozzy Osbourne, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath
- Spinning black holes may prefer to lean in sync
- Huge black mamba appears next to snake catcher's face with open mouth
- PICTURED: Female lawyer swept to her death in front of her young children when she jumped into Russian ice hole to mark Epiphany
- Black holes could reveal mysteries of unanswered questions of universe beginnings
Black hole: Tiny black hole called 'The Unicorn' found 'near' Earth have 973 words, post on www.express.co.uk at April 23, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.