PRESIDENT Joe Biden was heckled by protesters before suffering a brief coughing fit during a drive-in rally in Georgia on Thursday.
Biden was joined by newly elected Sens Raphael Warnock and Jon Ossoff at the rally, which he attended after paying a visit to former President Jimmy Carter.
Protesters at the rally briefly interrupted Biden’s speech, which was given to mark his 100th day in office, to demand that the president “abolish ICE.”
Biden briefly engaged with the protesters who were calling for the dismantling of both Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and private detention centers.
Protesters chanted, “end detentions now” and “communities not cages,” according to ABC .
“Folks, you all know what they’re talking about,” Biden responded.
“There should not be private prisons, period. None…Private detention centers. They should not exist, and we are working to close all of them.”
Amid the interruptions, Biden also appeared to suffer a bit off a coughing fit during his roughly 22 minutes of remarks.
Many of the points the president made at the rally were similar to those he made the night before during his address to Congress .
During the speech, his first before Congress, Biden touted his plans to help improve the economy, including the $1.8trillion American Families Plan and the $2.3trillion infrastructure bill.
Both would provide a safety net for the country, Biden said, adding they would create government jobs while spurring the economy.
“Independent experts estimate the American Jobs Plan will add millions of jobs and trillions of dollars in economic growth for years to come. These are good-paying jobs that can't be outsourced.”
Most read in News
DEAD BY ‘EXECUTION’
Al Sharpton to give Andrew Brown eulogy as cops who shot him are named
Before the Georgia rally, Biden and First Lady Jill Biden visited the home of former President Jimmy Carter, 96, and his 93-year-old wife Rosalynn in Plains.
The two were unable to attend Biden’s inauguration on January 20 due to coronavirus restrictions.
On their way to the Carter residence, photographers captured a cute snap of the president kneeling down to pick a dandelion for his wife before they boarded Marine One.
- Love Island’s Georgia Steel slammed for LYING to Sam Bird about being ‘unloyal’
- Police bodycam shows the first moments after crash that killed Cleveland Browns player's girlfriend while they were changing a tire on side of a highway
- UVA moves to ban white nationalist rally planner from campus
- What does Queen Elizabeth think of Prince Philip's driving following his car accident?
- Bus flips on its way to Masters golf tournament in Georgia, driver charged with DUI
- Minnesota couple on family motorcycle ride killed in crash
- Risk of clashes at rally mobilizes Portland, Oregon, police
- Claims NFL Protests Are ‘Especially’ Offensive to White Americans
- Silver Spring residents take to the streets to demand safer roads
- BREAKING: Former Atlanta cop indicted for allegedly shooting tourist from North Carolina
Biden heckled by protester before coughing and spluttering through car-crash drive-in rally in Georgia have 557 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.