AN AMERICAN woman living in the UK has shocked people by sharing how expensive it can be to give birth in the US.
Lisa Dollan, 39, moved from Georgia to Leeds with her son and husband, and shares how she is adapting to UK life on her @yorkshirepeach TikTok.
In a recent video, she shared the staggering cost of giving birth in the US and said how it varies state to state, according to the American Journal of Managed Care .
Research shows how the average cost of giving birth using health insurance through an employer is $13,811 (£9,900) – but this can rise if there are complications.
Lisa says: "Now then, so a lot of people say, so how much does it cost to have a baby in the States?”
She then shows a bill totalling $69,634 (£50,000), and continues: “Well, this is without [health] insurance.
“With insurance, the bill is [probably covered] 80-20."
This would mean the insurance company covers 80 per cent of the costs, and the rest is funded by the woman and her family.
Meanwhile, all pregnancy care under the NHS is free, unless mums choose to go private.
Lisa added: "But what the pharmaceutical companies and the hospitals do is jack up the prices.
"So that 20 per cent becomes higher and higher."
Some of the expensive charges mentioned by Lisa include semi-private room, which you share, for $25,000 (£18,000).
The actual delivery room was priced at an additional $26,000 (£18,644).
She added in the caption: "Grateful for the NHS yet?"
Most read in Fabulous
And proud parents celebrated after rare identical triplets are all born in just 7 minutes.
Doctor shows the CORRECT way to wear your seatbelt in pregnancy after mum-to-be used the wrong technique and then crashed
- Woman gives birth to ‘three-parent’ baby after controversial IVF used to treat infertility
- Woman pretends to give birth to her kitten in hilariously weird cat maternity photo shoot
- This Model Just Posted A Bikini Selfie 8 Weeks After Giving Birth—And The Internet Is Freaking Out
- Man’s wife dies 6 days after giving birth, now on a mission to educate parents on maternal mortality
- Emily Skye Just Posted A Photo Of Her Abs 2 Months After Giving Birth
- Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Oregon woman lived to 99 with most organs on wrong side of body
- Brigitte Nielsen hits out at 'double standard' after giving birth at 54
- 'Postpartum Psychosis Made Me Suicidal Just One Month After Giving Birth'
- British Vogue editor Edward Enninful hails Meghan Markle as a 'bi-racial powerhouse', and praises the 'hands-on' royal guest editor for working throughout her pregnancy and after giving birth
American woman living in UK shares staggering cost of giving birth in the US & people think it’s ‘horrendous’ have 544 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 30, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.