Former Labour spin doctor Alastair Campbell is stepping into Piers Morgan’s shoes as a guest presenter on Good Morning Britain.
The ex-right hand man to former Prime Minister Tony Blair will be alongside Susanna Reid from Monday 10th until Wednesday 12th May.
The stint coincides with Mental Health Awareness Week, which Campbell is championing after his own mental health battles.
The signing of such a political heavyweight is a massive coup for the ITV show whose ratings are up year on year and have bounced back after Piers Morgan’s departure.
A source said: "Campbell’s political analysis and journalism pedigree is second to none. MPs could certainly be in for a rough ride but it will make great TV."
Campbell said: "I am flattered to be asked and delighted that my stint will coincide with Mental Health Awareness Week as Good Morning Britain has always championed good mental health.
"I am also looking forward to getting stuck into the big political and social issues at such an important and difficult time for the country, as well as brushing up my knowledge on some of the subjects that will take me out of my comfort zone.
"In addition, there is an element of finishing unfinished business here… back in the mid 90s I was a regular presenter of the paper reviews on BBC Breakfast and during the week the former Labour Leader John Smith died, I was in discussions with the programme about becoming a presenter.
Is Alastair Campbell a good choice to host GMB?
0+ VOTES SO FAR
“John's sad death led to me working for Tony Blair and my life and career took a very different course…
"I must admit I am slightly dreading – make that totally dreading – getting out of bed in the middle of the night to get ready to present the show. But I am really looking forward to it."
Neil Thompson, Good Morning Britain Editor, said: "We look forward to welcoming Alastair as a guest presenter on the GMB desk this May. He of course has a huge appetite for the world of politics and hard-hitting news but we've also seen his vulnerable side, such as his personal struggles with mental ill health.
"A regular panelist on the show who always provokes strong reactions and lively debate, to some he is the architect of spin. To others he is one of the few people in the country able to call things out as they are – something we welcome on GMB."
*Good Morning Britain weekdays from 6am on ITV and catch up on ITV Hub
- Piers Morgan denies he’s splitting from Susanna Reid on Good Morning Britain after ‘hidden feud’
- Good Morning Britain hosts jump in shock as show is interrupted by a massive bang
- Good Morning Britain takes inspiration from John Lewis as the show releases heart-warming Christmas ad starring mini Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid
- Oh no it isn't! Ex-Blue Peter star Peter Duncan defends his 'woke' Jack And The Beanstalk panto on Good Morning Britain against claims it is pro-Corbyn propaganda
- Ronan Keating cringes as Piers Morgan calls him a 'breeding machine' amid fifth baby news
- Piers Morgan pulled off set after suffering technical fault during GMB interview
Alastair Campbell revealed as new Good Morning Britain guest host after Piers Morgan axe have 569 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at April 29, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.