Will Smith shared his personal experiences of racism as a black man in America, as he addressed the idea of one day running for office. The film star said he had been called the N-word to his face on ‘five or six times’. He said none of the people racially abusing him were “smart”, which at first made him thing all racists were stupid. Will told the Pod Save America podcast, hosted by former Obama aides aides Jon Favreau, Jon Lovett, Dan Pfeiffer and Tommy Vietor about the experience. He said: “Fortunately for my psyche, I’ve never been called N-word by a smart person. So I grew up with the impression that racists and racism are stupid and they are easy to get around, I just had to be smarter.” Looking into the eyes of those abusing him he “[never] saw anything I perceived as intellect.” However when the 52-year-old started to make it in Hollywood, he realised the reality of racism wasn’t so clear cut. As he grew older his view changed. “I started seeing the ideas of systemic racism, but at the core of it, I noticed a difference between ignorance and evil.” He takes encouragement from the… Read full this story
- Questions You’ve Never Asked Because You Don’t Want To Sound Racist
- How a founder who says his business ‘doesn’t sound like a good idea’ raised $16 million
- Smith criticisms 'didn't sink in'
- 16 cheap and creative ways to stay warm when your office is freezing
- Corrections officers say they don't understand why no one has been charged with Whitey Bulger's murder, one year after the Boston mobster was beaten to death with a lock in a sock in prison
- Here are 16 candidates who could run for Democrats in the 2020 presidential election
- Everyday Dr Mahathir Says
- BuzzFeed tells its employees it’s fair to call Donald Trump a ‘mendacious racist’
- Family freed returns to Canada, says 1 child killed
- Adam Smith’s story about the Scottish wine industry 241 years ago tells you why Trump’s trade war will fail
Will Smith says most racists are stupid not evil as he hints at running for office have 337 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.