A university has been told to pay a student £5,000 in compensation for lost teaching time during the first coronavirus lockdown. Restrictions saw many universities move learning online but for students studying subjects with vital practical components, this may have left them at a disadvantage. A number of students have made official complaints about the impact of the pandemic on their accommodation situation and their learning. The student awarded £5,000 was an international medical student who had been studying at an unidentified university with fees of £38,000. The university stopped clinical placements due to the pandemic, leaving students without vital practical experience. Advertisement The Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) said the award was due to the “severe disappointment and inconvenience” the student experienced because the final year of studies had been “less valuable” than expected. Also among the cases were: More from UK PM offers Britain’s stadiums for all of the European Championship with eyes on 2030 World Cup bid COVID live news – UK latest: Cash for summer sports, theatres, museums and galleries as pandemic Budget looms Boohoo facing possible US import ban after allegations over use of slave labour Man ‘who has fathered 35 children’ by offering… Read full this story
- Universities are making students undergo a ‘sexual consent course’ before enrolling to cut down on harassment on campus
- Community college students protest at Capitol
- University chiefs angry over ‘elitist’ student loan plans
- California universities, colleges face deep cuts
- Graduate wins £61k payout from university over 'Mickey Mouse degree'
- Vietnam National University-HCM City, a pioneer in AI research
- Top universities scramble to fill places amid dip in student applications
- UC students protest hidden funds, shut down regents meeting
- A University Is Not Walmart
- Tuition fee cut 'would force universities to shrink course sizes'
Universities forced to compensate students for reduced courses during pandemic have 282 words, post on news.sky.com at March 2, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.