UNIVERSAL Credit claimants are being urged to claim a discount on their council tax “straight away” to cut down their outgoings. Low income households on certain benefits are entitled to money off – in some cases up to 100% – the tax to ease the financial burden. Millions of families will see bills rise by up to 5% in April after the Treasury gave the green light for the tax hike in last year's spending review. The price hikes could see over £100 a year added to payments. The Government advises those who may be entitled to a discount to claim it as soon as possible. A warning on Gov.uk says: “If you are claiming Universal Credit for the first time we would advise you to apply for Local Council Tax Reduction (LCTR) straight away, as many local authorities will not backdate it for you.” How to check your council tax bill and whether it’s going up MANY local authorities will be hiking council tax bills from April – here’s how to check if you’ll be paying more. You’ll first need to find out what council tax band your home is in to work out how much you have to… Read full this story
- Can I claim Universal Credit? Thousands of low paid workers missing out on up to £21,000
- 'It's an insult' - Woman on Universal Credit slams major Eat Out to Help Out omission
- Universal credit: Brown says benefit rollout could lead to 'poll-tax-style chaos'
- Coronavirus: 'One click and we were worse off' after universal credit claim
- School uniform grant 2020: How to claim £150 to help cover costs
- Millions will pay more for credit cards and loans due to coronavirus damaged credit scores
- Credit card users in long-term debt will get more time to repay cash after FCA delays new rules amid coronavirus crisis
- Millions could get new PPI payouts as court ruling on hidden fees could spark fresh claims – could you get one?
- Revealed: Quarter of UK universities are 'bribing' A-level pupils with laptops and up to £1,200 cash if they select them as a 'firm' choice on UCAS form in desperate scramble to fill places
- Coronavirus live updates: Jobless claims fall, 16 million still collecting unemployment
Universal Credit claimants urged to claim Council Tax discounts ‘straight away’ have 360 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 1, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.