A leading scientist has warned Britain will have to continue living with a “substantial” death rate as the fight against coronavirus continues. Professor Andrew Hayward, a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), said society will, however, “get back to normal” in time and the country has already seen the worst. He added that when the country was thrust into lockdown last year there was “conflicting advice” and experts continually failed to learn lessons as the pandemic progressed. “I think, you know, given the societal trade-offs, we are going to have to live with a degree of mortality that will be substantial,” he told Times Radio. “I think it will get less over time as more people get vaccinated, and as more people get immune, and I do believe that we’ve been through the worst of this.” Prof Hayward said he does not think new variants of Covid-19 will completely evade vaccine-related immunity. We want to hear from NHS & care staff – tell us about your last year and how you feel about the one per cent pay rise plan. Email [email protected] “The vaccines will still take the sting out of it, if you like, and reduce… Read full this story
- Economy on a roll now, but experts warn there are signs of fraying
- Parents and experts warn of 'super dangerous' window covering cords
- Albinos in Malawi face ‘total extinction,’ UN expert warns
- 'Collateral damage': How fraternities can continue to thrive after pledges die
- The death of the caliphate: Why ISIS’s huge territorial setbacks in Syria and Iraq are so devastating to the terrorist group
- Michael Sheehan, Prescient Counterterrorism Expert, Dies at 63
- Despite civilian deaths, U.S. says Afghanistan strategy is working
- Opioid Epidemic Isn’t Slowing. New Estimates Show Overdose Deaths Surpassed 72,000 in 2017.
- Overdose Deaths Reached Record Level of 72,000 in 2017, New Estimates Show
- How the $15 minimum wage may save lives
UK will have to live with 'substantial' Covid deaths as fight continues, expert warns have 311 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 5, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.