Tony Hendra has died at the age of 79. The satirist and star of This Is Spinal Tap had been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), in 2019. Wife Carla Hendra confirmed to The New York Times her husband’s cause of death. He was best known for starring as the inept manager in cult classic, This Is Spinal Tap. Tony was British but have lived for many years in the United States. He had begun writing and performing while still a student at Cambridge University, working in the same circles as the future stars of Monty Python, such as John Cleese and Graham Chapman. In 1964, Tony and performing partner Nick Ullett took their act to the US, where he forged a career in acting, stand-up comedy, writing and publishing. He was named managing editor of humour magazine National Lampoon in the early 70s, solidifying his position in American satire. National Lampoon’s Lemming, which Tony co-wrote, became an off-Broadway hit, Chevy Chase, John Belushi and Christopher Guest among the cast. Christopher would go on to cast Tony in This Is Spinal Tap as the blundering manager Ian Faith in the 80s mockumentary. Since Tony’s death, tributes have… Read full this story
- Gregg Bissonette on Dream Gigs With Ringo Starr and David Lee Roth, Avoiding the Spinal Tap Curse
- Fear City: Who were New York’s five crime families and leaders during Mafia ‘golden age’?
- 'Leave It to Beaver' star Ken Osmond's cause of death revealed: report
- Series Premiere Recap: I Got Mine
- Tuskegee syphilis study descendants speak about tragedy, seek healing
- Battlefield letters tell soldiers’ stories of World War I
- I'm not hysterical: Matt Hancock denies overreacting to rising infections as he defends increase in self-isolation times to TEN days for people testing positive or showing symptoms - and says a 'second wave is rolling across Europe'
- Coronavirus latest news: Deaths toll passes 56,000 data shows as Covid-19 ‘here forever’ Oxford professor says
- State of isolation: How Victoria could face TWO YEARS separated from the rest of the nation if coronavirus outbreak rages on - as mask law starts TODAY and the true scale of Australia's economic devastation is revealed
- The anti-maskers provoking shop staff by flouting restrictions: Woman who boasts she 'didn't clap for the NHS' and smoker with face tattoo are among mob of rule-breakers sharing videos of themselves not covering-up in stores
Tony Hendra dead: This Is Spinal Tap star dies aged 79 from Lou Gehrig's disease have 391 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.