Three-quarters of Brits say the NHS has been more effective than private firms in responding to Covid in a damning poll. The survey found 75% thought the NHS and local public health teams had been “more effective at handling the response to the pandemic”. Just 9% chose private firms – such as those running Test and Trace contact-tracing – and the remaining 16% said they didn’t know. The online poll of 1,002 UK adults for anti-privatisation group We Own It was carried out by Survation on February 23-25 – days before ministers proposed a “derisory” 1% pay rise for NHS staff. We Own It campaigns officer Pascale Robinson said: "This poll shows what campaigners and the public health community have been saying throughout this pandemic. “The response to Covid is best managed by people who know what they're doing and have decades of experience working in public health, not by outsourcing companies and management consultants. “It’s time to give our NHS services and staff the funding they need to respond properly to Covid and rebuild our NHS in its aftermath.” Dr John Puntis, Co-Chair of campaign group Keep Our NHS Public, added: “It is the work of the NHS that… Read full this story
- Private firms criticised over £295 coronavirus testing kits
- Coronavirus: Health Secretary Matt Hancock says 'very unpleasant' COVID-19 saw him lose half a stone
- Children of NHS staff offered free private tuition as brave medics lead fight against coronavirus
- Coronavirus symptom app suggests that 1.9 MILLION Brits could have Covid-19 with Birmingham and Liverpool among the future hotspots
- Damning truth about the nation's testing scandal: After a strong start in coronavirus battle, the UK is lagging behind the rest of the world and the Government doesn't have the testing capacity to cope, writes BEN SPENCER
- Ministers are told to get a grip on coronavirus testing after NHS swabbing stations stand DESERTED, 'loophole' leaves thousands of kits unused and UK firm says it's shipping millions of tests abroad because labs here 'can't cope'
- Health chief says we must stay locked down until JUNE: UK could be made to remain at home for nearly three months to avoid worst effects of coronavirus and practice social distancing until October
- NYC Mayor de Blasio says HALF of all New Yorkers will get coronavirus and warns people not to cling to Trump's 'false hope' of reopening by Easter, as doctors describe 'apocalyptic' surge in patients across overwhelmed hospitals
- 'He would still be alive if there was more testing': Family of first British medic to die from coronavirus says he was a 'sitting duck' because he had no idea if his patients had the disease
- Half of Americans say coronavirus outbreak will get worse over the next month
Three-quarters say NHS has dealt with Covid better than private firms in damning poll have 441 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 7, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.