THIS Morning has been hit with almost 2,000 Ofcom complaints after Dr Michael Mosley encouraged viewers to eat just 800 calories a day to lose “lockdown weight”. Fans were left outraged by the “dangerous” segment last week, which aired on Friday’s episode with hosts Alison Hammond and Dermot O’Leary . The professional insisted that consuming 800 to 1,000 calories a day can be “safe and effective” on the programme – adding that he is a “fan of rapid weight loss”. This is less than half of the recommended calorie intake, which is 2,500 for men and 2,000 for women. The segment faced fierce backlash online at the time, particularly as it aired during Eating Disorder Awareness Week , and 1,932 people have reported their concerns to TV watchdog Ofcom. This Morning will now be assessed on whether or not the regulator needs to conduct a full investigation into the complaints. Taking to Twitter, one fan wrote on Friday [26 February]: “There is no way This Morning are promoting eating 800-1000 calories a day on Eating Disorder Awareness week. So irresponsible.” Another agreed: “Angry to see this section of the show encouraging adults to eat no more than 800 calories calories… Read full this story
- Jennifer Aniston doing ‘five day 800 calories a day fast’ ahead of reunion with ex Brad Pitt at SAG Awards
- Three women reveal how they GAINED 18st and spent £8,500 between them at slimming clubs – and they only lost weight by quitting the 'cults'
- Four cups of coffee a day could help you lose weight
- Gogglebox star Amy Tapper discusses her THREE STONE weight loss after overhauling her lifestyle and admits the gym has helped her mentally
- Weight loss story: “I was heartbroken with the way I looked in the changing room mirror!”
- Kerry Katona rocks a floral frock at SkinnyJab event... after crediting controversial weight loss jabs with helping her body transformation
- Why EVERYONE should 'count macros': Nutrition coach, 23, loses 20 kilos in months without depriving herself of tacos, burgers and cake (and she still eats SIX meals a day)
- Permanent Weight Loss Motivation: What It Takes
- Obese man who felt too fat to be his sister's best man has gone on to lose 16st after being inspired by his grandmother - and is crowned Slimming World's Mr Sleek 2020
- 'I was so desperate to lose weight I had doctors wire my jaw shut'
This Morning hit with nearly 2,000 complaints after viewers enraged by 800-calorie diet to lose ‘lockdown weight’ have 379 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.