POPE Francis is being protected by armed guards and a huge security entourage – including gun-mounted trucks – in Iraq as he visits sites and prays for peace in the war-torn nation. The 84-year-old arrived in country today for a four-day trip – defying fears over security risks and the country’s spiralling Covid infection rate. The historic tour is the first time a pontiff has visited Iraq, with the Pope saying he was coming as a “pilgrim of peace”. The Pope has been surrounded by armed guards since arriving in the country amid security fears. Iraq has deployed thousands of additional security personnel to protect the Pope during his visit – which comes after a spate of rocket and suicide bomb attacks raised concerns for his safety. Cops on motorbikes, armed guards and truck with guns on top have been pictured in Baghdad today as the Pope makes his way around. Soldiers were even spotted atop a roof as he visited a church in the city this afternoon, the site of the worst ever single massacre of Iraqi Christians. It is reported threats to blow up the Pope have been scrawled on the walls of the building in Iraq. Police… Read full this story
- Eviction: Protect Fulani in the South, NEF tells Buhari, governors
- Let's put up a statue to Captain Tom: Matt Hancock says war hero has a 'place in history' and should be permanently honoured for £33m NHS fundraising efforts amid calls Trafalgar Square monument
- Biden inauguration – Armed pro-Trump protesters gather at Michigan, Texas, Oregon, Ohio, Utah, & New Hampshire capitols
- Queen personally honours passing of Captain Sir Tom Moore aged 100: War hero who won nation's hearts by walking around his garden to raise £33million for the NHS has died after Covid battle as Boris Johnson pays tribute to 'beacon of hope'
- Remarks by U.S. President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama with students at St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
- We killed 869 bandits, terrorists, kidnappers in 90 days – Military
- We must resist ideological tests for the US military
- The 54 best HBO series streaming right now
- Disproportionate number of current and former military personnel arrested in Capitol attack, CNN analysis shows
- Despite accusations of genocide, Aung San Suu Kyi's party is on track to win another term in Myanmar
The Pope is protected by armed guards & gun-mounted trucks on Iraq tour as he prays for peace in war-torn country have 367 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 6, 2021. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.